Monday, April 3, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: T S Blakely

1.     Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I began my writing career about five years ago producing business books. As a globally recognized expert in certain business topics and with no information readily available for others, I felt the need to share what I know. It is now five years later and I felt the desire to leave the business books behind and to try my hand at fiction and self-help stories…with the same motivation to help people and the additional motivation to entertain.


2.     How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

Mostly of my writing is done at night after the sun goes down. The darkness produces a quiet calm in which to think.

3.     How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?

I write using a standard keyboard and monitor attached to my laptop. Comfort us key when you’re about to type thousands of words! For my next book, I am going to try speech recognition.

4.     What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

My favorite part is in the beginning when I am planning out the story, who the characters are and whether those characters will help or hinder my main character. My least favorite part is the vast amount of time it takes me to physically type up what I’ve planned.

5.     How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

It took two months, on and off to write my book. That includes both the planning and writing phase. Of course now, the marketing plan takes even longer! The idea came to me one day after years of watching everyday people struggle. My first book, a short story, is a self-help story for those that struggle to make financial decisions. My second book is a who-done-it story requested by a friend.



6.     What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

After conducting a great deal of research on book marketing, I quickly discovered that marketing fiction is very different than marketing my business books. Business book marketing is all about speaking publically at professional conferences. As a new author in the fictional space, I plan to seek book reviewers and interviewers. I may invest some monetary budget to advertising as well.

7.     What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

My first story, the self-help short story is called “Choose Another Road.”


My latest book (short book / long story J ) is called “Bang! Bang! Bang!,” a story about a woman who is pulled out of her quiet life and forced to act in order to protect her impending success.


8.     Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

With two stories on Amazon, I am now planning out ideas for a third plot. However, before I write a third book, I will watch Amazon for reader reviews in order to see what people did and did not enjoy.

9.     What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

There’s only one way to find out! Find people who don’t know you and have then read your work. Your friends and family will always tell you your work is good. Instead, you need to seek the absolutely honest feedback from people without bias.

***



***

Question for Me:

How did you determine what type of book you would write? Did you research to see which genre was the most popular or did you write on topics that were the most comfortable for you?

I began writing because I had to get my story down. My parents divorced when I was seven and I wrote a fictional novel about a girl named Samantha who went through a similar struggle. Even though some of the situations and people were different, what happens within Samantha's heart draws closely to the feelings I had as a child.

Everything I have written has come because of my desires; not because of what is currently selling. For me, making money comes second to touching someone's life or bringing them joy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.