Monday, July 24, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Lisa Thornton Stillwell

Tell me about yourself. What got you started in writing? 

I would have to say my sister sparked my interest when it came to writing. When I was little, I used to read poems that she would write. Then, when I got older, I began to write.  It wasn’t until about five years ago when I became a full-fledged writer.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write? 

I try to squeeze in my writing time on the weekends and other various times throughout the week. Some nights my husband and I will watch a movie, and I will type while lying on the sofa. Other times I try to write on Sunday afternoon. Most of the time my husband will nap on Sunday, and I will then get on my computer. I figure as long as he is napping then it isn’t taking away from any precious quality time that we could be having together. I don’t like writing to take precedence over family time. However; sometimes you can’t help it. Especially if you have deadlines to meet.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a laptop or some other method of getting your words down? 

I prefer to write from my laptop. Where I write just depends on where I feel comfortable for the moment. Some days I will sit in my office, and some days I will go to the bedroom to close the door. I get on my bed, lay back on my pillow, and just type away. And again, other times I will lay on the sofa while watching a movie.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing? 

My favorite part about writing is that I get to help others. The next favorite is that I get to meet a lot of different people and make new friends. My least favorite part of writing would have to selling my books to my family and friends! I feel like since they have been so supportive that I should be able to give them free copies. But it doesn’t work that way. If you do that, then you can wind up losing a lot more than you could be making. It will certainly cost you!

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book? 

I came up with my book idea through much prayer. I don’t write any books without praying about it first. The very first book I ever wrote was I Asked, God Spoke: True Stories of Devotion. This book probably took me over a year to write. This book is based on my personal experiences.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing? 

I try to market my books through social media. I also try to market them by attending regular book signings. Most of the time local bookstores love to have you! Any way at all possible that I can market my book, I try!

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out? 

I have several other books out. I just finished a prayer journal for moms and dads. Parents are supposed to jot down prayers that they pray for their children throughout their life and then leave the journal to them as a legacy to them one day. I also finished another booked named Christian Film Stars: Interviews with the Best! I interviewed many Christians within the film industry just to see what they had to say. I wanted to see what brought them into the ministry and what exactly led them to the Lord. That is a must have book for your home. It is certainly one of my favorites. Most of the people in the book helped me write it. They wrote out their testimony and sent it back. It was such a blessing!


Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it. 

The project I have on the back burner would be my first novel. Every time I try to write that novel God always places a new idea in my heart. I know that I will finish it when the time is right. I would say more about it, but I don’t want to spoil it! I just know when I finish it that it is going to be great! I pray it also helps a lot of people and that many will be able to relate to it.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

I would tell them not to listen to that. If you have something inside of you that wants to be a writer, then you should follow your dreams. You don’t need to give up! And there are so many ways these days that you can publish your book. The hardest part isn’t getting it published! The absolute hardest part about being a writer is finding time to write. I would say DON’T QUIT!

A Question for Kathryn:

How successful have you been when it comes to being an author?

This is an interesting question, especially when you consider what I was asked last Wednesday. (Check out my author interview with Tammy Lash if you haven't already).

How you define success is important here. Is it lives touched, or money made? Is it both? Can it be both?

I'd like to think that if you follow your heart, that you will be shown the way - you will know what to write, and that, in time, the money might just be there too. 

But, even if the money doesn't make it like you want, what will you have left over?

In my book, :) if I manage to change the life or heart of just one reader, I have been a success. So, yes, I have been a success.

***


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.