Saturday, May 16, 2009

"Ask Mom" - What's it all about

Not sure where to turn for your next staple? Spending too much money on school supplies and not enough on your girlfriend? Afraid to ask your mom for a loan?

Ask me.

That's right. I am a mom and a former student of Salt Lake Community College and The University of Utah (BS May 2009,) and no, I won't give you any money either. But I'm full of advice-some of which you may even like or well, find you like better than the advice your mom gives you. You don't tell her everything anyway, do you?I want to hear it all.

That romantic stuff you call love. That overwhelming balance you are trying to achieve in your life, mountains you are trying to climb-even the stuff of money. Yes, I can even talk about that if you want me to. Not sure what major to sign up for? Let me help. Having problems with your roommate? Tired of the piles of trash inside the place she calls her room? Sick of your overprotective mom? Your hair? That stuff called homework?

I want to hear it. No, it doesn't have to be pretty, it doesn't even have to be too terribly serious, but it does, yes it does have to be true. And if it's not happening to you personally, I don't want to hear it. This is not the place for gossip-unless its gossip based on your life of course.

Just write me in the form of a question. You can give me some details but please keep it to a tight paragraph-kind of like your favorite pair of jeans. I don't want to hear some lengthy sermon on your life. Yes, it may be interesting but I don't have time for it. Here is a question I received today through an enlightening conversation; a question I will probably use at some point through my "Ask Mom" career: "How do you get rid of a guy you've been dating and still remain friends?

"Who told me this? "The heat is gone" of course.

I will not print your name in the column (unless you really want me to) even though I may see it on the email I receive from you. I will merely give you a cute name like "cuddle bear" or "lost in line" or something equally cheesy like the one above but not your real name. You will be attending this school for at least two years and I want you to be able to walk around campus with your head held high.

What else?

That's it.

Post your your questions and comments here on the blog.

I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.