Friday, June 21, 2013

Got Ideas?

We've all heard the "Got Milk?" slogan. We've also heard the myriad ways it's been translated, so I couldn't help but put in my two cents.

Photo by: NikonFilm35, courtesy of Flickr
Got ideas?

For many writers, ideas aren't always easy to dig up. Like an old tree that's been growing for 100 years, we can't seem to get a hold on those ideas that have been firmly planted in the soil.

Photo by: Mary J. I., courtesy of Flickr
The good news is, though we may not be able to see the ideas, they are still there, rooted to the earth. What we must do is to spend some hours digging for the priceless gems.

Here are some things I do when I feel stuck:

1) I think about what is going on in my life and write about it. Journals are great resources for great ideas.
2) I take a break from writing and work out in the yard. I read a book, or do something totally unrelated to writing like shopping or going out to lunch.
3) I take out my binder full of pictures that I've cut from magazines. I choose a picture randomly and write what I see, hear, taste, touch or smell. In other words, I work on the five senses; something that needs to happen in every piece of writing I put out.
4) I work on a different project. When I feel "stumped" I focus my energy on something else. Usually that frees me up to return to the first project.
5) Living life is the best way to find great ideas. Take a bus ride, go to the park, observe people at Wal-Mart and take notes.

Ideas are out there. Sure, they may be buried in your subconscious. It may feel as if you'll never again have a great idea for a book project, but you will.

That's a guarantee.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment.