Monday, July 25, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: V. J. O. Gardner



Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing? 

I love reading and read very fast. I was waiting for my husband one day and ran out of reading material. A little verse popped into my head and I wrote it down. I then began to explore the story behind the verse.



How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write? 

I write in my head almost all of the time. Then I type it in or write it down when I get a break in everything else I’m doing. I prefer to write when I’m alone in the house.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down? 

I started with notebooks and pens before there were any really good word processors. Now I type it in at my desktop and read through on my tablet for editing.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing? 

World building and discovering the characters’ motivations. I don’t like interruptions 
when the words are really flowing.


How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book? 

The first book I wrote started with a little verse about a man who was lonely. I had to write his story which took 10 years. Most of my other books only take 4 to 6 months to write and relate in some way to that original story.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I do book signings at book stores, boutiques and renaissance fairs. I also am a panelist at some writer’s conventions and comic cons

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out? 

I’m working on the 1st book of a new series. I have a total of 3 books out right now: ‘Blood of Ancient Kings’ and ‘Dracona’s Rebirth’ which have been out for a couple of years and ‘Servant Queen’ that I published in March of 2016.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it

I do have about a dozen books that are in various stages of editing. Half of them occur in the world of Asculum that my 3 published books occur in. The other half occur on the world of Trinan, but I’m writing the 1st book in that series now.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent? 

Keep writing. Let someone who isn’t afraid to be completely honest with you read some of your work. Join a writer’s group and participate in their critiques.

***


A QUESTION FOR ME:

What is the best way to increase readership without spending a lot of money?

I had the same question a few years ago. When my husband suggested that I take all of my marketing ideas (most of which are free ways to market) and assemble them into a book, I was all for it. Not only would I have ideas for other writers to try out, but all of the stuff that worked for me would be organized where I could find it. Marketing Your Book on a Budget was born. Now, every January, I put out a new, revamped book, with the latest and greatest ideas to increase not only readership but, in the beginning, interest. It's said that an average reader must see your book at least 7 times before plunking down the money to buy it. So the more times they see your book advertised, whether it's on a blog, in a contest, on your website, on a postcard, etc., the more opportunities you have of ticking off that number before the reader can no longer resist buying your book.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.