Monday, August 1, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Lucinda Whitney

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I’ve always wanted to write. I remember when I was in first grade and learned to read thinking how cool authors were, and how I wanted to do that when I grew up.



How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

During school time, I mostly write when my kids are in school and after bedtime. In summer, I write whenever I can.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?

I prefer a desktop. I had have a photography business a few years ago and I got used to my really big wide screen, and now I have a hard time using a laptop; I find them too constricting. I have my “office” in the library/playroom/TV room. Not the best space, but it works for now.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

My favorite part is giving voice to my characters and their lives. I especially love it when readers fall in love with them. My least favorite is just before the book is ready for publication. Usually by then I’ve done six or more passes of editing and I start getting sick of it.

Get the Book at Amazon

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

I had the idea of a guy who comes back to visit the area where he served his mission years ago. On and off, it took me three years. The first version was not very good so I had to learn to write and how to tell a romance story, and then I rewrote the whole book from scratch.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I reach out to book review bloggers and reviewers. The more people who read and review it, the better chances for other readers to see it.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I’m getting ready to publish my second book which is coming out later this month. It’s titled ONE SMALL CHANCE and you can read more about it here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30973139-one-small-chance

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I have a novella set in Manhattan that I need to rewrite with a different setting. I’m planning to get to it next year after I publish my third book.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Keep writing and keep learning the craft. Join a writing group and trade feedback. And never stop reading. Reading will teach you to identify bad writing and good writing.

A Question for Me:

What is your greatest struggle as a writer?

Great question! I think I struggle most with making time to get the word out about my books. I do a lot of things, from author interviews to author presentations, but it takes quite a bit of time and a little money (I have learned that I don't have to spend a lot to get great results!) I love to write and I like to market, and it's often tough to balance the two. Thanks for asking!

Learn more about Lucinda:

Twitter  

2 comments:

Thank you for your comment.