Wednesday, March 1, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: . J. E. Grace

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing? 

I would have to say that reading at a young age, and getting lost in the stories, inspired me to write.  I started out writing poetry and then expanded into fiction. My mother, who also loves to write, was always there with words of encouragement.


How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write? 

I’m retired now from Real Estate so I can pretty much write at any time, but prefer late evening. That is when my writing juices seem to flow onto the pages. Sometimes I know where I’m going and other times my characters seem to lead me where they want me to go.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?  

I write using Microsoft Word on my desktop.  I have files set up for all work in progress and ideas for other projects. I have a home office that is away from the main part of the house. 

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

My favorite part of writing is seeing my characters come to life on the written page and being able to share them with others.  My least favorite part would have to be rewriting.  It takes a lot of work and you have to be able create a non-attachment to your words and be able to cut when you need to.

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?  

The idea came from a ranch I lived on in Northern California in the 60’s.  I decided it would be a good backdrop for my story.  The book took me about 6 months to complete.  I originally had planned the Pacific Cove books to be one book, but realized I was actually writing two separate stories.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing? 

I have an author’s website and a blog.  I also use Twitter and Facebook.  My work is listed on Goodreads, Authorsdb, Booklife, Author’s Den and various other book sites.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out? 

I’m currently working on Book 3 in the Pacific Cove books. I’m also about 75 pages into a Christian Fantasy novel entitled, “A Walk with Heavenly Spirits.” It’s about a girl who has fallen away from her walk with God and is visited by Heavenly Spirits that remind her that the Lord hasn’t abandoned her.  I show her journey back to God and how her life is dramatically changed.  It’s a work of inspiration, enveloped in promises from God’s word. 

Get the Book at Amazon

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.  

I have a lot of possible projects planned.  I have an outline almost completed for a mystery novel and I would also like to write a Christian children’s book.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?   

Self-doubt is one of the problems every writer faces. You have a message, don’t be afraid to put it out there, but make sure it is the best it can be.  Learn to expand your knowledge of writing by learning from people who are successful. Remember, all authors started at the same place you are now and have experienced the same issues.  Keep writing, there will be readers out there that like what you write.

***

A Question for Me:

The question I seem to hear more often about writing is: How do I get readers to leave reviews?

Great question, one in which I am still working through myself. The best ways I have found to get folks to leave reviews is to ask those who typically review books first. In my book, Marketing Your Book on a Budget, I have a fine list of websites to check out with listings of book reviewers. Second, I ask those who I've connected with in social media groups such as Facebook and Linkedin. As you get to know readers as well as authors, you discover who loves to read and write reviews.

***

Julie's website: http://jegrace.webs.com (all books listed with links to Amazon)

Amazon link Testament of Faith:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRN71N2

Book Trailer Testament of Faith :  https://youtu.be/wGpky4gEzEs


1 comment:

Thank you for your comment.