Monday, November 14, 2011

Writer's Block

Is there really such a thing as writer’s block?

You bet.

But there’s also such a thing as moving beyond it.

Just this morning I was thinking about what I should write for this post and it suddenly came to me that writer’s block is something that all writer’s face. It isn’t easy to come up with new ideas day after day; especially when that day is filled with other concerns.

Working beyond writer’s block is as easy as setting words to paper. It doesn’t even matter if the words make sense or if they are somehow connected with the sentence before it. What matters is that the words come out.

Some of my best stuff has come out of just playing with words and allowing them to play with me. I look out the window; see the fall leaves on the ground mixed with white earth, snow-filled drifts of joy. I will need to rake them when the snow completely melts so as not to have to clean up icky mulch in corners that I’d rather avoid if I forget.

I see a bird as it flies past my window; see the trees blowing ever so slightly in the November wind. Another bird flies overhead; black and gliding. I live on the top floor of a two story house and can see the tops of roofs, tiles of yellow, orange and gray. I see the fence that needs mending, new slats have already been offered and the differing colors distinguish new from old. Leaves continue to flutter, and as I write this post I realize that life has more to offer me than writer’s block.

Much more.

Today, take a look outside your world and see what life has to offer you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.