Monday, February 25, 2013

What's In It For Your Readers?

Sometimes, when writing and publishing, we writers tend to get focused inward. Although we have been told to write to a particular audience and to focus on filling the needs of our readers, we may find ourselves looking inward to when and where we're going to make the next buck.
Photo by: Wonderlane, courtesy of Flickr
Unfortunately, when we make book writing all about us; how much money we're going to make, how popular we're going to become, etc., we lose the reasons we may be writing our book in the first place.

Photo by: Takashi(aes256), courtesy of Flickr
Yes, I go there too, but be assured that I don't live there. I prefer to ask myself, "What's in it for my readers?" And then I try to make my book and marketing efforts an answer to that question.
  • I want the words I have written to be the best I can put out there. That means I want to write inspired words; words that create meaning.
  • I want my editing to be sharp. Will my books ever be perfectly edited? No, but they will be edited.
  • I want my cover to appeal to readers who enjoy reading my particular genre.
  • I want my book's price to be fair and manageable.  
  • I want there to be a take away value. A 'so what' factor. If a particular reader finishes my book and says, 'so what?' that's a problem. If they can ask, 'so what?' and then answer that question with, "I learned...." "I experienced..." that's a great thing.
  • I want readers to come back and read other books I've written because they enjoyed the first one they read.
  • I want readers to share my book with others either literally or by word of mouth, so that someone else will have a desire to read my books.
  • I want to continue to see excitement in my reader's eyes when a free gift is given at a book signing or a book purchase.
When I ask myself, "What's in it for you?" instead of "What's in it for me?" I find that everything is taken care of. I share what I have written and others buy a particular book when it is right for them. There is no need to push or shove, just to be there to share.

God takes care of the rest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.