Monday, April 18, 2016

CHARACTER INTERVIEW: Skye Southerland from Buckhead Dead

Tell me a little about yourself (where you live, who you are, what you look like, what you hope to achieve, etc.)

Hmmm, where to start? My name is Skye Southerland and I’m an interior decorator. I’m in my 50’s, about 5’5” and weigh around… well you know I can’t tell you that. My hair is super short and spiked (you’ll need to read about what happened to my shoulder length hair in my book Buckhead Dead) and I’m married to Mitch Southerland who is a high end antique dealer. We live in Buckhead, Atlanta, GA. I drive a Highlander, Toyota that I use to carry all of my equipment for my decorating business. I tend to be judgmental, but I’ve learned with the help of my friend, Honey Truelove and her cousin who is an exotic dancer (turning her life around) teaches me that you cannot always judge someone from appearances or even their uniqueness. 
2.      
      What do you like to do in your spare time?

I used to like to read, go for long walks with Mitch and just chill. But lately there has been no time for resting. My friend Honey and I were suspects in a murder case and since it looked like the law enforcement wasn’t in a hurry to find anyone else we began detecting ourselves. Now, it seems that, Ginger has gone and got herself mixed up in a nasty murder in Decatur, Georgia.

Get the Book at Amazon

3.   What is your favorite color and why?

I love green. If you will notice in spring time there are many, many shades of green. I love working with the different shades.
4.       
      What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite?

Oh, my! That’s a hard one since I love food. I guess I’d have to say fried chicken. What true Southerner doesn’t like chicken?

What would you say is your biggest quirk?

Well, let me tell you about one of Honey’s instead. LOL Honey has to have her Merle Norman Romance Red lipstick with her at all times. This is her signature lipstick and she wouldn’t be caught dead without it. Uh oh, that probably isn’t a good thing to say if you are a character in a murder mystery.

5.  What is it about your antagonist that irks you the most, and why? Share a line in the book where this irk is manifested. 

      Well, I have just got to get this off my chest. My mother-in-law, Charlotte Southerland (Miss Charlotte she insists I call her) has come to stay with us for a couple of weeks while her home is being rewired. She just flat out doesn’t like me. No one is ever going to be good enough for her Mitch. She likes living in the past wearing dresses, hose, high heels daily and if going out she wears gloves and a hat. She is so stiff I’m afraid a good wind would blow her over. Anyway, I’m determined one way or the other to form a good relationship with her. I’ve been praying about it. So far she hasn’t gotten the message, but I’m not giving up!

What or who means the most to you in your life? What, if anything, would you do to keep him/her/it in your life? 

This is a no brainer. My husband, Mitch, is the most important person in my life. He loves me just like I am. He forgives me constantly and builds me up when I am down. He is my staunch supporter and I hope I am the same for him. I would hope that I treat him in such a manner that he knows he is loved!

What one thing would you like readers to know about you that may not be spelled out in the book in which you inhabit? 

I’m not the hard-hearted person that I might appear to be. Or at least I’m working on it. I don’t like snooty and I don’t want to come across as snooty so I’m working on that. Also, the fact that I was unable to have children has caused me more sadness than anyone will ever know. 

If you could tell your writer (creator) anything about yourself that might turn the direction of the plot, what would it be? 

Please Deborah, don’t make me go through any more learning experiences. However, you could send me and Honey back to the CaribbeanJ

***

A Question for Me:

Ask me any question. I've always wanted to know what a character thinks about writers like myself. I'll answer the question at the end of this interview.

Okay, just for fun. My creator sits around and writes in her pajama’s drinking coffee. This doesn’t seem like a very hard job to me. Anyway, do you ever sit around in your pajama’s writing? Just wondered if Deborah was the only one.

Actually I don't write in my pajamas. I have found that I work harder and better if I get dressed for the day (like a regular job). But all writers are different, so if your creator does well in her pajamas, then perhaps she needs to continue to write in them. Being a writer is a tough job, even though it may seem cushy. Trust me.

***

Thank you so much!  Kathryn, thank you for having me. It’s not very often that we are considered for interviews even though without us there would be no book. And thank you, Deborah, without your creative mind and hard work Honey, Ginger and I would have to be stuck in the same place all the time. We love the adventures you send us on!

Learn more about Skye and her author at: 


1 comment:

  1. Oh! Didn't my interview turn out good? This is my first and I'm looking forward to more. Thanks Kathryn and Deborah for making this a fun experience! Hope to see you in my books. Skye Southerland

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.