Wednesday, May 11, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Jana S. Brown

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I knew by the time I was about six that the two things in life I wanted was to be a momma and a writer. I loved to write and tell stories and sent my first book into a big press when I was about 14. I got a very nice rejection letter which encouraged me to keep reading and writing and I did. I’ve since published both fiction and a lot of non fiction and am continuing to work on my dream.



How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I have a three year old, so scheduling writing time is sometimes a matter of desperation. I tend to scribble during her ‘TV time’ and I’ve worked things out with my husband so I get at least two hours of writing time three times a week in the evenings. It’s not completely ideal, but it works for now.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?

I have a writing cave with a nice desk, treats and a heater all my own. I use paper for drafting outlines and character development and a laptop for everything else.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I love it when everything comes together and the words are really flowing. I love it even more when I go back to read and get lost in my own work. The hardest part is when nothing is flowing and I’m staring at the blank screen.

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

Desert Rains came into full outline one lazy Sunday afternoon. I was doodling and ended up with a beginning to end outline. In future drafts it changed only slightly. I wrote the first draft in about seven weeks. It took another couple months to revise, cover, typeset and publish.

Get the Book at Amazon

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I love getting reviews and send out a lot of review copies. I’m currently in a total revamp of my website and newsletter, then will be hitting those like gang busters. You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Pinterest where I enjoy chatting about books, family, craft projects (and sometimes failures) and cooking.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

My current project is called Fallen Stone. It’s going through a final revision before wending its way to publication. It is an Urban Fantasy book about a fallen holy warrior living in Denver.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

The back burner project is the next Desert book. This will be Ted’s story. He’s such a fun character in Desert Rains and everyone agrees that Teddy needs his own happily ever after.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Do it anyway. Writing is only partially talent. The rest is hard work and persistence.

A Question for Me:

What social media platform do you find most useful for marketing books?

Great question! 
Facebook, hands down. 
I have used, and still use
Twitter
LinkedIn
Google+
and others
but facebook gives me the best results when it comes to connecting with readers and gaining new sales.

Thank you, Jana!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.