Wednesday, June 29, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Michael Jensen

1      Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I’ve been writing as long as I can remember. Shortly after I learned how to read I started to keep a diary. The majority of my writing was for myself so I didn’t know I was any good at writing until I took a creative writing class in collage.  I also enjoy songwriting and have written a few musicals. Along with writing I also love to sing. I work as a probation officer for my day job which is a great source of inspiration and character study.


How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I find my best work comes in the mornings just after I wake up.  That’s when I’m most creative.  I have to schedule it or I find life gets in the way. If I don’t set the time aside to write it doesn’t happen.   

     How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?

I do most of my writing on my laptop in my living room at home. When I’m in the story development stage of writing I will often hand write my ideas on note cards.  I also use an excel spreadsheet to keep my ideas organized. 

4.     What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

Get the Book at Amazon
My favorite thing about writing is blowing my mind, reaching in to the brightest and darkest parts of me to create and experience things I might never know in real life.  There is nothing about writing that I don’t love.  I wish I had more time to commit to it.  But I will always write and I have many more stories inside me that will be told.  

5.     How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

     I started the story nearly a decade ago. I dreamed I died and came back as a ghost. Nobody could see or hear me.  It was surreal and I couldn’t wait to write about it. It wasn’t until I met my co-author David Powers King that that story developed into what it is now.  We worked on it for a couple years and we got our book deal with Scholastic almost a year after it was completed.

6.   What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

     Scholastic does a great job promoting Woven at the school book fairs.  David and I both have social media outlets that also help to promote the story. 

7.     What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I don’t have anything new out… yet. David and I are currently working on a sequel to Woven.   

8.     Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I always have something on the back burner.  I’m getting ready to start my middle grade wizard series. It’s nothing like Harry Potter, but it does have wizards and a world of magic.

9.     What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

     That’s exactly what I would tell them. Believe in yourself.  Your story is worth telling. Educate yourself, learn your craft well, then tell the story you were born to tell.

***
Thank you, Michael!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.