Wednesday, November 15, 2017

CHARACTER INTERVIEW: Matilda Moore from The Matilda Effect

Tell me a little about yourself (where you live, who you are, what you look like, what you hope to achieve, etc.)


My name is Matilda Moore. I am 12 years old and live in Arnos Yarm, which is in boring old Canterbury. I am an inventor and love designing and building things that I have come up with. I’m working on getting an international patent for my latest design. I mean business, you see.




What do you like to do in your spare time?


Draw and invent and draw and invent and maybe invent some more. There’s not much time left for anything after that. Oh, I do like reading autobiographies of famous inventors and scientists, though. 
I’ve just finished one on Marie Curie.


What is your favorite color and why?


Silver, because it reminds me of metal.


What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite?


Pizza! I like it hot, hot, hot. I do NOT like vegetable pasta bake. (See below.)


What would you say is your biggest quirk?


I’ve known I’ve wanted to be an inventor for years and the international patent for my design is going to cost thousands of pounds and I don’t get any pocket money, but Mum and Dad give me £3 for school dinners, so I buy vegetable pasta bake which is the cheapest thing on the school menu at £1.30 and I save the £1.70 for my international patent. I’ve been eating vegetable pasta bake for six months now and probably have another three years of it before I’ve saved up enough.


What is it about your antagonist that irks you the most, and why? 


Well, my Granny was a scientist back in the 1960s and she discovered a brand new planet. But her boss, Professor Smocks, claimed that HE discovered it and everyone believed him and not my granny because there weren’t many female scientists back then and Professor Smocks was really respected. And in two days time, he’s about to be awarded a Nobel Prize for Granny’s achievement. So it annoys me that he’s lied to everyone and that Granny and I have to somehow get all the way to Sweden to gatecrash the Nobel Prize ceremony and tell everyone the truth.


What or who means the most to you in your life? What, if anything, would you do to keep him/her/it in your life?


I was really close to my Grandad Wilf because he was the one who got me into inventing. We would visit my grandparents every Sunday and I’d spend hours in Grandad Wilf’s shed, cutting and drilling metal and doing my woodwork. But he died a few months ago and I’d give anything to get him back again. The world feels a bit greyer without him in it.


What one thing would you like readers to know about you that may not be spelled out in the book in which you inhabit?


That I’m actually really funny. I tell really good jokes. Except I’m quite serious in the book because justice is a serious business!


If you could tell your writer (creator) anything about yourself that might turn the direction of the plot, what would it be?


Maybe – maybe just once – I could have a vegetable pasta bake free day.


***

A Question for Kathryn: 

Do you like ALL your characters? Even the bad ones? Can you understand where they’re coming from?

Great question! Yes, I like all of my characters because each of my characters teaches me about life. We need both the good and the bad characters anyway to carry a story forward. I think of my own life. Would I have been able to move forward and improve if not for those less than great people helping me out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.