Wednesday, December 20, 2017

CHARACTER INTERVIEW: Damien Payne from Cracked but Never Broken

Tell me a little about yourself (where you live, who you are, what you look like, what you hope to achieve, etc.)

There’s not much to say. I’m Damien Payne. I somehow traded places with my brother and became the black sheep of the family. I grew up on the family farm with my sister and twin brother, so having a spare moment to think was always lacking. I joined the Marines, saw some action overseas, came home and really managed to step in a cow paddie.


What do you like to do in your spare time?

I never met a barstool I couldn’t warm for a while. I like playing football with some of the kids I went to school with. Speakin of school, I was quarterback for the local high school and took us to championship each year. Man those were the good days.

What is your favorite color and why?

Favorite color? What is this, Design My House or some other HGTV show? I guess as long as it ain’t white or beige I’m pretty happy with any color. Except pink. I swear if Monica, my sister, had her way, the house would be in various shades of pink or blue.

What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite?

Now I haven’t met a food I don’t like, except eggplants. If I had to pick a favorite, pizza from Lula’s would take the cake. That woman makes the best food in the world, just don’t tell Maw-Payne. Hmmm… Lula also makes an amazing burger. Oh, and her milkshakes are divine. Can I just pick Lula’s instead of a specific food?

What would you say is your biggest quirk?

Quirk? I seem to tick Lexi off each time I walk in a room. But mainly that’s because I can’t keep my mouth shut when I should.

What is it about your antagonist that irks you the most, and why? Share a line in the book where this irk is manifested.

Well if told you about my antagonists that would spoil the book. They were rather manipulative, able to say the right thing at the right time. I never will understand why I didn’t notice the signs earlier. Apparently, this went on for YEARS. Maybe that wasn’t the only thing I should have noticed.

What or who means the most to you in your life? What, if anything, would you do to keep him/her/it in your life?

My family’s rather large. If I could change time, I’d kept my dad around—freak accident. Lexi’s pretty special. She’s quiet, and I didn't realize how much I just assumed with her, sure that she’d be there, unchanged, like the sun rising and setting.

What one thing would you like readers to know about you that may not be spelled out in the book in which you inhabit?

I’m not sure when my life went off track. It doesn’t really matter anymore, and I’m happy about the way things end, but it took a long while to see that.

If you could tell your writer (creator) anything about yourself that might turn the direction of the plot, what would it be?

Don’t let me run my life into a wall. You apparently didn’t have my brother hit me hard enough to knock some sense into me. My nose still hurts when it gets cold, couldn’t you have broken something else?

***

Writers have blinders, only viewable by their own experiences. It isn’t bad, but give the same characters to another writer, and we’d be reading an entirely another story.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.