Friday, December 15, 2017

WINTER WONDERLAND HOLIDAY BLOG SHARE! FREE books!



December 11 - 18

Today is a special day! Tomorrow will be pretty great, too! Read my Christmas story today; tomorrow, get Tie Died for FREE!



Today, I have a true story that I'd like to share. There are also some pretty great Christmas stories, recipes, and traditions on other blogs that I'd like to mention. You'll want to click on the links at the end of this post. 

Check them out, because many prizes are being offered during this Holiday Blog Share!



THE CHRISTMAS DOLLHOUSE

By

Kathryn Jones

            Our girls were two, six and seven the Christmas of 1988.  My husband had been busily looking for employment (again) and I was beginning to wonder how many more days I could stretch out the meals with a pantry full of ‘just a little noodles’ and that great staple item, canned corn.
            One day I was shopping at a thrift store with my mother, feeling discouraged that all I could afford would have to come from…you know…there, when I noticed something interesting.
            The place was surprisingly busy.  Old and young, well dressed and moderately attired, were all making their way up and down the many aisles looking for just the right bargain.  So, I wasn’t alone in my shopping venture.  Still, I couldn’t help feeling wistful.  To afford a real Christmas for my three girls…one the girls would cherish and talk about for years to come…now, that would be better.
            As I was busy in thought, hardly paying attention to the marvelous deals my mother was pointing out, I rounded a toy aisle and there it stood in full glory.
            Okay, not quite full-glory, but it was if the dollhouse spoke to me.  Actually, I discovered seconds later that it was my mother.  As I stood with my mouth agape she said, “I bet you can fix this up.”
            I wasn’t so sure.  What I’d spotted was a wooden dollhouse, quite large, proudly displaying lime-green carpet and orange wallpaper.  The piece of masking tape revealed the amazing price--$5.00.
            But I wasn’t sold yet.  I knew it would take hours to fix the thing up.  Hours and materials and creativity…
            Creativity!
            “Your husband is an artist.  He’ll help you,” my mother said next as if reading my thoughts.
            I few minutes later my mother and I had placed the dollhouse in the trunk of my car.  Although it stuck out a bit (somewhat like a dejected tree from an empty tree lot) we were able to get it safely to my garage at home where the real work began.
            Through the next few evenings, my husband and I were busily scrounging up healthy green carpet remnants, leftover neutral pain, even vinyl floor covering for the kitchen area from generous relatives.  And then we were gluing, painting and covering the floors with our artistry.  Towards the finish date, Christmas Eve, my husband decided to paint trees on the outside of the house to give it that ‘homey’ look.
            On Christmas Eve with paint up to our armpits, heavy eyes just gasping for a little shut-eye, and high hopes, my husband and I placed the dollhouse under the Christmas tree.
            The next morning, the glow on our girls’ faces and giggling thank-you from first to last far surpassed the pain of our sore fingers, aching hands, time and travail.  I will never forget the joy I felt that day.

            Two of my three girls are teenagers now.  The oldest is married and in a home of her own.  But they still talk about the dollhouse from Christmas years ago like it was a mansion—their mansion.  And I have to smile…just a little.

(Update: Two of my three daughters are now married, and I am the grandmother of five sweet ones).

***
Get the eBook FREE tomorrow only!



Kathryn Elizabeth Jones has been a published writer since 1987. She started as a newspaper reporter - publishing with the Salt Lake Tribune and the Deseret News. She published her first novel in 2002, attended college in her 40s, and opened the doors to Idea Creations Press in 2012. She has published 12 books to date in the genres of Christian fiction, nonfiction (including Christian and business) mystery, YA and LDS middle reader. Her first 'tween' science fiction fantasy book is in the works. 

See what my author friends have to offer!


Enter to win a $60 Amazon gift card! 

Click here!

December 11 - Lois Winston - Killer Crafts & Crafty Killers 

December 12 - ENTER TO WIN a FREE copy of Catherine Green's short story - Christmas with the Vampires here.

December 13 - Stanalei Fletcher - It's all about the journey...

December 14 - Doree Anderson - Write it Down

December 16 - Karl Beckstrand  - Multicultural Books

December 17 - Marie Higgins - It's the journey that makes the romance story interesting...
December 18 - Mary Martinez - Welcome to Mary's Garden

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely Christmas story, Kathryn. And what special gift for your girls. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a touching story. I love that it was a homemade gift that was so special and exciting for your girls. We have three boys and their interests couldn't be farther from each other. One thing they do all get along with is decorating the Christmas tree. It is my favorite Christmas tradition. My husband and I set up the tree, put the lights on, and then our three boys work together to decorate the tree. It's so sweet to see their faces as they come across special ornaments that they've made, or were made for them, and others we've collected over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite Holiday Tradition is baking cookies with my family

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.