Monday, July 3, 2023

Look up

Hearing and seeing the fireworks this year, I am looking up more often than usual. Not that I want to look up 24/7, especially when it's time for bed and I'm still hearing the pops of noise, but the sounds and glitter have made me think of something else.

Photo by Paul Weaver on Unsplash

How often do I look up?

A few years ago my grandson and I would stand in the backyard and watch the planes as they flew overhead to the airport. We started saying, "Goodbye, see you later," whenever an airplane flew by. I would hold my grandson in my arms and we would wave together. He had to do this every time we were outside, and the experience would make both of us smile. 

Photo by Gary Lopater on Unsplash

Now, he's moved on to other things and is no longer interested, but when I say, "Goodbye, see you later," his eyes light up for an instant and a little smile creases his cheeks. He is remembering.

I have always looked up when it rains or snows. 

Photo by Filip Zrnzević on Unsplash

And I look up into the eyes of someone who is taller than I am, though this doesn't happen as often as I'd like. I'm 5'11".

Looking up is important, not only because of how you feel when you do it, but what you miss out on when you don't. Have you ever known someone whose head is always turned downward? It's almost as if they're afraid of what is out there, or maybe they just don't think they deserve it.

But I like looking up. I like what it does to my posture. I like how I feel when I do it. I like remembering that I am not alone and that the person who is looking down at me is one of the few who can actually get away with doing it.

May you have a memorable 4th of July.

I'll see you later.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.