Monday, May 21, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Free Writer's Workshop

You really never know what's going to happen on a given day.

On the way to preparing everything for my speaking engagement I discovered that my workshop was going to be cancelled. The culprit? Not enough sign-ups.

Now, I'm not going to give you the number of how many signed up, but suffice it to say, it was not enough to carry the class.

A great place to get used books and trade in your used copies!
I could have been disappointed, but the day before something else wonderful had worked itself from the pages of my life. I was given the a-OK to do a book signing at the Book Garden in Bountiful. For those of you who don't know, the Book Garden is a quaint little place full of used books. I hardly expected to do a signing there (primarily because my book's in the new category), but it just so happened that Main Street was putting on an Chalk Art Festival.

I was at the post office across the street and the lady said, "It's too bad the festival got rained out today. It should be better tomorrow."

"What festival?" I asked.

"The Chalk Art Festival up and down Main Street."

She was right, of course. Friday, it was raining buckets and all of the chalk art that had been done the day before were covered with plastic. I knew this because I got back in my car and drove across the street to the Book Garden. There, I asked the assistant manager if I could do a book signing the following day.

The rest is history.

The following day was sunny--and perfect! I met some great people, signed some books, talked about writing, and got a slight sunburn--but it was all good.

You really don't know what's going to happen on a given day.  I'm glad I was open to it.

To your writing~!

Kathryn

Learn more and see some great artwork here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-on-the-Sidewalk/200194693356611.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.