Thursday, November 1, 2012

Lunch & a Pep Talk

It's amazing what a good lunch and a pep talk can do for an otherwise discouraged  person.

No, I'm not discouraged all of the time, but there are days that I just can't take in another negative vibe. I have this bucket called my life that I'm trying to fill with good things like writing, and listening and sharing, but sometimes the good things are so overcome with the bad I feel as if I have a bucket with holes in it.

Photo by: haven't the slightest, courtesy of Flickr
As much as I'm trying to put good things in, the good things are not staying inside the bucket for very long but are rushing out.

That's when a good pep talk comes in handy.

During the pep talk that lasted roughly 3 hours (the waitresses were getting a bit nervous that though we had come for breakfast we were sitting with the lunch crowd) I discovered again some things that I had forgotten.
  • Life is about choice. Choices we make and choices others make. And it's up to us to separate and know what is ours and what isn't.
  • There are opinions galore about who and what you should be (from mothers, co-workers, friends and even acquaintances) opinions that you 're not and will never be. That's why it's good to take an inventory and see if you're living your dream or someone elses. 
  • All it takes sometimes is to hear one negative comment about yourself to think less of who you are. But you don't have to make the negative comment who you are. You can look at it, see if it provides any wisdom, and if not, discard the untruth.
  • Sisters are miracle workers. They care about who you are and what you want to accomplish in life. They lift, rather than pull down. They care that you hurt and have been misunderstood or trampled upon. They know when you feel alone.
I know, I know, "no one can make you feel small without your permission", but there are days that we give it, our permission, sometimes without realizing we've even handed it over. If we are feeling a bit less than, a bit discouraged, a bit out of hope, we've been listening to the wrong voices, whether they're inside our head or not.

Love to you,

Kathryn

3 comments:

  1. I'm an only child but have a few friends that are like sisters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your bucket and great truths to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for always being there to fill my bucket with good things! Isn't it great that we can define ourselves?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.