Wednesday, March 19, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Cindy Hogan

Another great interview! Find out what "wows" Cindy, and how she comes up with her characters!

    Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?


It’s sounds so cliché, but it’s true: I had a dream. LOL. I was minding my own business as a teacher when I had this incredible dream that was so vivid and heart pounding. I thought it should be made into a movie.  Since I knew no movie producers, I wrote the scene down in hopes of one day passing it on to someone. But, the story didn't stop there. It kept coming to me and I kept writing. Once Watched became a bestseller, there was no stopping the train and I had to choose between being a rocking author or an amazing teacher. After much debate and many tears, I left teaching, but I still get my fix with author visits and assemblies.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?  

I write with my laptop. I did write Watched free-hand first, though. I wouldn't suggest it. It doubles your work. I write in my dining room that is surrounded with windows. I see the mountains out one window, the blue sky out of another, the lake through the third and Salt Lake City out of the fourth. I need space to write for sure. In the Springtime, I sit out back on my deck  or on my front porch. I love the outdoors. Occasionally, I try to write in bed, but that never lasts long…



What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing? 

I love it when a scene comes to life. It’s crazy when you write something one day only to go back to it the next day and be wowed by what you are reading.

I’m not a fan of editing. It’s such tedious work. It drives me nuts. I wish I had a magic wand. I also don’t like marketing very much. It’s time to get an assistant for sure. I just can’t keep up.

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

Good question. It’s funny because I’m not an outliner. I write by the seat of my pants not knowing what is coming next. In that same vein, my characters just pop right out and glom themselves into the story. They come with personalities attached and I love it when they bust into the story. Most people say they totally relate to my characters and either wish they could become any number of them or have a friend who is just like one of them. Hopefully, readers will fall in love with the hot guys that are in each of them.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing? 

I advertise with sites that send out alerts through email like Bookbub, Bargain Booksy, etc. I also have my own newsletter that I use. And, of course, I use FB, Twitter and I blog.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I write mostly in the morning. I’m an early riser-at 5 am I pop awake. It’s nice and peaceful.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

Adrenaline Rush and Gravediggers came out at the end of October and I just released Confessions of a 16-Year-Old Virgin Lips in February. I just gave my editor a book set in Paris-(It’s nameless still) and I’m almost done with Hotwire. A Christy spy novel set in Brooklyn, NY. I can’t wait for everyone to get to read them.



Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I do have a book I've been brainstorming for a while now about a girl who discovers her superpower…but, I've never written anything supernatural or fantasy-like and I’m nervous about pursuing it. One day…

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent? 

#1 keep writing. #2 Keep reading #3 Go to writer’s conferences. #4 get with a good critique group and learn to take criticism #5 keep writing J

***

Thank you, Cindy! Learn more about Cindy at the following sites:


Book links:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.