Monday, March 17, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Nancy Kyme

Learn why Nancy prefers writing on her laptop over writing free hand and what follows "Memory Lake."

Also, she asks ME a question; the first in these author interviews. Check it out at the end of this interview to see the question and my answer! 

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?  



Putting my thoughts into words and being understood by others has always been important to me.  Writing is the best tool I know to sort through and organize complicated thoughts.  I've been doing this since I could write.  I never thought of writing a book until my early thirties upon the exhaustion of my self-imposed reading list of classics.  Suddenly, the works of others no longer held my interest.  A burning desire to create my own stories took hold and so far it hasn't let up.  I still read, but not with the same intensity.  That intensity is now reserved for writing.      

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

Kathryn, I am the complete opposite of you!  I do not prefer pen to paper.  I love the abstract quality of word processing and its inherently neat organization.  My laptop is an extension of me.  I have more than one comfy chair with a high back and a foot rest throughout my house and I move around with the sun.  My husband bought me a Levenger lap desk made of cherry.  It rests on the arms of these chairs so the laptop does not cut the circulation of my legs.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I love all aspects, from creation to editing.  Making sure my files are regularly backed-up is probably my least favorite part, but it must be done.

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?


 Find this book at Amazon

In 'Memory Lake' all my characters are all based on real people.  I even used their real names, (with a few exceptions).  None of them objected, even the antagonists.   Currently, I'm immersed in a work of fiction and the characters seem to be writing themselves.  There's no getting away from them being composites of folks I know, but since they hold my interest, and I've spent years with them, I am confident they will hold the reader's interest as well. 

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I have some radio interviews coming up and will be the key speaker at a few non-profit events.  I've done pod-casts, book fairs, book signings at Books-a-Million, Barnes & Noble, and many independent book sellers. I have a blog and utilize all the social networks.  My publisher will be airing a book trailer on Dish network.  I love attending book groups who have chosen to read 'Memory Lake'.  And, of course, I am grateful to be one of your author guests!  

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write? 

First thing every morning, writing gets me out of bed.  The earlier the better.  I make a pot of tea and dive in.  My whole day revolves around getting back to my laptop after life intervenes. 

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

"Memory Lake, Second Edition" was released last fall.   I am planning to release a series of Sci-fi fantasy novels in the next year or so.  I have been working on them for years.  I hope to  find an agent this time around.   Fingers crossed.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

There is a sequel to 'Memory Lake' on the back burner.   It will continue to follow my daughter and her friends, my grandmother, a few of my camp friends, and it will highlight my relationship with my dad.  'Memory Lake' is about mothers and daughters.  'Memory Canyon' will be about fathers and daughters. 

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?


I'm a firm believer in sharing early versions with many readers before moving to publication.  Ask for feedback, have a thick skin, and consider all suggestions, (you don't have to use them).  You'll know you have something when the reader really reads your entire work, is enthusiastic to talk to you about it, and negative comments are minor, like typos.

Question for Kathryn:  What is your favorite children's book?

"Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. I love everything about this book. The story, the illustrations, the pattern of the words. I had it completely memorized at one time and could share the book at elementary schools without even looking at the book. 

I was little when the book came out and my mother thought it would scare me; she said she almost hated reading it to me, but I loved it!

***
Thanks, Nancy!

Learn more about Nancy here: 

website:  www.nancyskyme.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.