Tuesday, May 5, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Jaclyn Weist

Tell me a bit about yourself. What got you started in writing.

I have enjoyed writing since I was a little girl. We had a Young Author’s contest where I grew up and always wanted to win. Then my senior year, I had free time during one of my classes, and I would write short stories about different animals.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

I write on my laptop on my couch most of the time. I have six kids so I try to be where they are during the day.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I love finding out where my story is going to go. I’m a discovery writer, so even if I plan something out, odds are the story is going to go somewhere else.

My least favorite part is the lack of time for me to write. My kids are active in sports, scouts, school, dance, and playing, so I have to schedule my time. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that since I love being with my family, but when my brain wants to write RIGHT NOW, sometimes I just can’t.

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

Every character has been different for me. I've written a book about Cinderella so her character came from being beaten down by life. My luck series character just came out of nowhere but my husband said she’s totally me. If only I had her luck! Generally, though, I pick a name, a very basic story, and just run with it. Then I can fill in their personality as I go so I know how they’re going to react to the situation.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I use social media a lot for writing, but my favorite way is to get out there and do signings. I get to meet readers and other writers that way. I jump at the chance to teach classes at writing conferences and do school assemblies.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I write when my kids let me write. I Sometimes I have to hide myself in my room just to get a couple scenes out of my head onto paper, but I've learned I write best at night when I’m uninterrupted.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I’m working on a fourth book in the luck series, and I hope to put that one out in June or July. We’ll see what happens. My newest release is a novella called Just My Luck that I put out in February. I also re-released the whole luck series with some improvements and new covers. It was a crazy task to undertake, but I’m thrilled with how they turned out.
Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.








I have so many projects on the back-burner. I have a sequel for Princess and the Prom Queen, a Beauty and the Beast book, a book about a girl who discovers an age-old—and rather evil—magic, and one about Neverland. I also have a memoir I wrote about our insane trip to Australia that I need to go back and rewrite. If only my brain wouldn't come up with new stories all the time!

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

It’s been said that the only book that can’t be fixed is the one that isn't written yet. Get out there. Write it. Fix it. Get help from others. Attend conferences and learn more about writing. And rewrite it again. You can do it!!


***
Thank you Jaclyn!

Learn more about Jaclyn at the following links:



1 comment:

Thank you for your comment.