Monday, November 2, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Hope Callaghan

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?  

I started writing non-fiction at the end of 2013 after I took a course on how to become an Indie author.  I wrote several travel books before switching to fiction and released my first fiction book, Waves of Deception in mid-2014.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?  


I try to write every single day and if I don’t write, I’m up to my eyeballs in the editing process.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?   

My husband and I live in an area where we’re surrounded by woods and wildlife so I have a lot of inspiration by just looking out my back door. I use my laptop for everything, although I have Dragon Naturally Speaking (speech recognition software) but haven’t used it. 

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing? 

I love writing the first draft because I don’t have to worry about crossing my “i’s” and dotting my “t’s.”  That comes later, which leads me to your second question.  My least favorite part are the edits, namely the final edits.

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?  

I have several series, but my favorite to date is The Garden Girls Series. I released that first book, Who Murdered Mr. Malone? in December, 2014.  Since then, I’ve written seven more books in the series and will start writing book nine soon.  I grew up in a small town, similar to Belhaven and draw a lot of my stories and locations from here.  I love writing this series because it takes me “home” while I’m writing, at least for a little while!

Get the Book at Amazon

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?  

We try marketing everywhere.  If it’s out there, I’m guessing that we’ve tried it.  Although I don’t handle the marketing, website or advertising end of it.  My better half, my husband, takes care of that! I can say that when we started out, our budget was limited, so we gravitated toward the free sites like ReadCheaply.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?   I am finishing book number four in the Cruise Ship Chronicles Series (Millie Sanders) which is about an older woman who applies for a job on a cruise ship after a nasty divorce.  That book should be released mid to late October.  After that, I will start on book nine in the Garden Girls Series.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.  

I do have another new series I’ve been working on in my free time. I hope to release the first book the end of October or early November.  I hate to say too much since it’s still in somewhat of a draft form but it is similar to my other series (Cozy Mysteries and the setting for this one is a small town in the South.)

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent? 

I  would tell them that everyone has a story to tell.  You are uniquely you and only you can tell that story.  Write something that you love or that interests you.  Every author from James Patterson to JK Rowling started somewhere.   

A question for you:  How do I increase my odds of getting a BookBub?  We have been trying for months, meet all of their criteria and they keep turning us down!

Good question. Like anything else, getting your books placed on line is a little like trying to get that first book published. Although I'd been on their site, I hadn't, as yet, placed a book After re-subscribing this morning, I was going to enter one of my books, but realized there was a $200 cost. If you're really interested in BookBub, I wouldn't give up. Some of these bigger sites have so many authors sending in their stuff that it's more difficult to get a spot. Let me know if you do.

***
Thank you, Hope!

Learn more about Hope:




My website/blog:  http://hopecallaghan.com

Readers can download  Book 1 in the Garden Girls Mystery Series, “Who  Murdered Mr. Malone?” http://hopecallaghan.com/books/who-murdered-mr-malone/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.