Wednesday, December 21, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: David Gibbs

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I am a licensed clinical counselor and certified addiction professional in Florida and Ohio. I have more than twenty years of experience counseling in the fields of mental health and substance abuse. I have worked in multiple settings, including home-based crisis stabilization, private and nonprofit organizations, and private practice. I have presented at both local and national conferences addressing mental health and substance abuse, and their impact on communities.



How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I allow the creative process to evolve as it sees fit.   However, I will always take time to transcribe or record my thoughts as they come to the surface.  It is my belief that these sporadic flashes of creative thought will become the anchor to which other ideas will flow.   

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?  

I typically write at home on my laptop.  This allows me to create the environment I need to be the most creative. For me, the creative “juices” begin to flow when I am surrounded by the energy of Christmas- the smell of pine, music of the season etc..

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?
     
For me the favorite part of writing for me is simply, the process – I really can’t speak to the least favorite part of writing. 

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?  

The book idea came to me when I was first working with adolescence and their families when I was an emergency home-based counselor in Toledo, Ohio.  I actually started writing the book when I was about 25 year old.  So, the book in reality, took about 25 plus years as a result of my own Humbug messages.  

Humbug messages are those thoughts that prevent us from fulfilling our dreams.  These messages tell us, I am not smart enough, not pretty enough, not deserving and much, much more.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

In regards to the types of marketing I have done to promote the book I actively used social media – Facebook, Instagram and twitter.  I have also have participated in a local radio interviews as well as a Blog  interview.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?           

Currently I am working on a revised edition of Humbug to Happiness.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent? 

Ironically, I would tell a beginning writer to read Humbug to Happiness – Breaking the Chains of the Past.  It is my contention that, when we sit any thoughts that prevent us from achieving our goals we are being shackled by Humbug thoughts. 


 ***

A Question for Me: 

As a self-published author, platforms for marketing are very limited.  What could you suggest to a new author who has limited time to market their self-published work and is struggling with finding avenues to promote their work?

Great question! An author can't do everything unless they want to hire it out, and so I suggest choosing those things that will bring the greatest success. 

Because many authors don't know what those things are I have also, ironically, created a marketing book of ideas - along with links to places that will help them market their book for free.

My greatest success has come from reviews, blogging. social media and book signings at out-of-the-way places. Yours may be book trailers, author interviews like this one, contests, and book release parties, but you won't know what works and what doesn't for you unless you are willing to try a few things.





1 comment:

Thank you for your comment.