Wednesday, January 11, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Andrea Pearson

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

My youngest brother is an avid reader, and he once complained to me that there weren’t enough books in our local library for him to read. I was about 22 at the time and wrote my first book for him. He liked it, so I continued the series, and haven’t stopped writing since. :-)



How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

Anywhere and anywhere I can find the chance! I have a three-year-old and a baby (who is frequently sick and has had some health issues). Finding writing time is very difficult. But I’ve started dictating, and it’s much easier (and faster) to talk into a recorder for ten minutes and get in the same amount of words as 45 minutes of typing. :-)

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

Favorite part: The rush of creativity! The feel of new ideas forming as I tackle a scene. It’s quite exhilarating. My least favorite part? That middle-of-the-story bump! I know most writers experience it. It’s what happens when you’ve gotten through the exciting events and you know where you want to go, but you’re not quite sure how you’ll get there, even when working with an outline.

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?
Get the Book at Amazon
I’ve got 25 books out now, so I’ll answer this in a general sense. It takes me anywhere from three weeks to a month to finish a book, including self-editing before sending to beta readers and editors. In the beginning, it took around a month to write and several months to edit. Thank goodness we progress with practice! As to ideas, they almost constantly flow. They come from anything and anywhere! Conversations with my husband or kids, a movie, a song, a hike in the mountains, etc. There is never an end to ideas.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I focus mainly on my newsletter. I love my readers! Nearly everything I do is geared to beefing up my subscriber list. My automatic emails to them, once they’ve subscribed, sell my books better than anything else.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I’m working on two projects: Enshroud, the eighth book in my Mosaic Chronicles, and Self-Publish Strong, a series of books for authors on marketing, building robust newsletter lists, etc. (Kathryn: Please let me know when the first book in your author series is due to release. Perhaps we can do a spotlight then on the new book).

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I’m brainstorming Koven Chronicles, my next series. It’s an urban fantasy about a woman who controls fire.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Practice makes perfect! Seriously – if you have the creativity to come up with an idea, you can refine the necessary talent to pull it off. If you work hard enough, the talent will flow. It’s the whole, “Fake it ‘till you make it,” thing.

***
Learn more about Andrea at the following links: 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.