Wednesday, September 20, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Christy Monson

    Tell me about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I have always loved writing. When I was in college, my favorite class was a children’s literature venue. I’ve written off and on through the years, but now I devote most of my time to it.


How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I love writing first thing in the morning. If I put it off until later, my day gets going with so many things, I don’t get to it. Also, my ideas flow better in the morning.

        How and where do you write? Do you prefer a laptop or some other method of getting your words down?

I love my laptop. I can write so much faster than any other method.

       What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

My favorite part about writing is the creation of plot. I love writing historical fiction. So, I do my research, and the plot fits into the information I find. It’s kind of like putting a puzzle together. My least favorite part of writing is waiting for the publisher’s schedule to print the book.

4    How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

Banished is a book I wrote about Native Americans (Hopi Tribe) in the four corners area of the United States. It took about a year to do the research and write, but I love the process. It’s a fun part of every-day life.

Get the Book at Amazon
What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I love doing school visits, and I teach classes at Weber State University in Ogden, Utah.

Here are my social media links. I’d love to have anyone visit them anytime.

Blog: www.christymonson.blogspot.com                                                                     
Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/christymonsonauthor/         
Twitter: @ChristyMonson                                 

6.     What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I have a new book titled, “Finding Peace in Times of Tragedy” that will be out in the spring of 2018.

7.     Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

     I have lots of picture books on the back burner. I have several that I’m sending out to small publishers. I’m working on nonfiction ones right now.

8.     What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

It isn’t about talent. Writing and publishing is about hard work and perseverance. You have to have a thick skin and be ready for lots of rejections. But if you keep going, you’ll be successful!

***

Dre has waited twelve summers to become a man in his clan, but during the ceremony the chief banishes him. Will he die in the desert? Dre sees a golden eagle following him and discovers the great bird is his recently deceased father returned to him as a spirit guide. More trouble awaits from a neighboring clan, and Dre scrambles to survive in the world.

This book won the Utah Arts Council Award for Children's Literature and the Marilyn Brown Award for Western History.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.