Tuesday, December 6, 2022

What's more important than selling books?

If you're like me, you are constantly thinking about different ways to sell your book(s). From book signings, to craft fairs, to library events.

This year, I have done less promotion than I have ever done, but it has given me an opportunity to think about why I write.

I write for me. It's great free therapy and I can travel anywhere I want to without spending a penny.

I write for you. I want you to feel as if your life is better because you have read something I have written. What I am writing right now is focused on improving your life spiritually. I think after writing some fun fiction books I have finally decided on the genres that makes me the most happy.

Christian fiction and nonfiction.

This past Saturday I was part of the Utah Authors Day and spent a couple of hours at the Riverton Library. I was not able to sell any of my books - some libraries have this rule - and so I displayed my books and gave one away for the contest. Instead of 'selling' I focused on answering questions about myself and my books. The children walked around and visited with the authors. They had a cute little card that I could stamp after they'd asked me a particular question out of five.

Photo by Brigitte Tohm

My favorite was: what is your favorite word?

The first child who asked me this question caused me to reflect before answering. I didn't want to give them just any old word. And then it came to me. "My favorite word is Jesus." That word stayed with me during the two hours I was there, and the answer was the same every time a child asked me the question.

It was only later that I realized how right I was about my favorite word. 

Jesus is known as the word. You can read all about it in John 1:1

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

I made quite a few connections and shared my work on Saturday, and there were a couple of people that wanted to buy my books, but because I couldn't sell them directly that day, I was truly able to focus on what mattered to me.

And it wasn't selling.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.