Thursday, February 2, 2012

10 Ways to Set Limits as a Writer in Business

I don't know about you, but it's difficult to set limits as a writer. What will I write? How much do I expect to be paid? Should I do this for free?
Books are a great help in deciding what to write about and how much to charge
Photo by: Angela Shupe, courtesy of Flickr
But limits are important, especially when you get the feeling in your gut that you're taking too little money for that blogging assignment or you can't quite understand why you'd need to pay someone for doing a book review--especially when most of them come for free.

When I began my writing business a little over a year ago, I was a bit afraid that I really didn't know what I was doing. And quite frankly, I wasn't. But through trial and error and some wonderful successes I have discovered a few things about myself. I...

  1. give a discount to a repeat client.
  2. do things for free or at a discount only if they feel "right."
  3. give my clients more than they ask for. If they are expecting a mentoring session, I make sure they leave with a fantastic handout or something else rewarding.
  4. am beginning to get paid what I'm worth. This number will change as I garner more confidence and experience. I am not afraid to up my pay scale when it's time. I know it when it's time.
  5. take in the criticism. This will help me and my business grow. 
  6. am honest with my clients about their work and progress and give them the courage to continue.
  7. have created some postcards that I can hand out about my business. Business cards don't have room for that extra specific information I LOVE to share.
  8. don't get discouraged if others are telling me to get a "real" job. This is my "real" job.
  9. am proactive. I use social media outlets to get my name and what I do out there. I work on not being afraid to talk about what I do and the happiness it gives me.
  10. Setting limits is like a wall with a narrow opening. Only the best stuff gets through.
    Photo by: easylocum, courtesy of Flickr
  11. write what is right for me. I try not to take on a job that doesn't feel right, whether that is a ghostwriting assignment or a mentoring client that isn't a good fit. 
Setting limits as a writer in business means that you're taking good care of yourself. No, you're not a doormat; neither do you gather in work that doesn't meet up with your expectations or approval. You're a writer in business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.