Monday, February 20, 2012

How I Love the Internet

Used to be an electric typewriter was the best thing on the planet; next to a bottle of white out, that is.
Photo by DonkeyHotey, courtesy of Flickr

Today, when the Internet isn't working, I find myself scrambling for work. It isn't easy being "without" when you're so used to "having it."

But that's what happened last Saturday. I was ready to work on my post, to do some marketing for my new book, to spend some time on Twitter, when lo and behold, my computer just wasn't up to it.

I thought about the other things that I could be doing, and they just didn't seem as exciting as the online work I had to do, but I did them. Writing can actually be done without the use of the Internet, and I was forced to prove it.

Let's just say that I still managed to get done some writing tasks without the use of the Internet, and it was kind of nice to take a break from marketing, at least for a day. Changing things up a bit never hurt a writer. I was grateful for the time to work on those projects I had put on the back burner, to edit some work that needed it, and to find time for some reading.

I think it's nice when we can do things out of the ordinary, because it gives our brains a chance to catch up. It's nice to have that break from the typical fare and even, to prove to yourself that your brain doesn't have to be hooked up to the Internet 24/7 to be a part of the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.