Thursday, April 19, 2012

Marketing on Foot

Yesterday I did a bit of marketing on foot. What that means is that I gathered my books and other marketing materials and talked with local business owners.Those owners that were not in I tried to gather business cards for.

My goal was to place books, book materials, get some writing classes going and be at the right place at the right time for some book signings. In the end, I set up one writing class, was given a possible opportunity to be a part of an art festival and had met some wonderful people.

Photo by Craig Cloutier, courtesy of Flickr

I think it's interesting that only when a writer steps out of their comfort zone that even more changes begin to occur. When I'm putting my book out there for the very first time, that takes guts, and changes occur. When I began marketing online I gleaned even more interest, but it wasn't until I began asking for reviews, interviewing and posting blogs on others sites that more change occurred.

I used to think change was hard, and I used to think of change in a sort of negative light. But change is about new discoveries and growth and a quickly beating heart. And I'd like to think that marketing on foot will bring about even more of the same.

If you're stuck in front of the computer, trying to figure out how best to sell your book, don't forget to leave your front door and talk to your neighbors.

It's probably the biggest step you'll ever make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.