Monday, July 22, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Deanie Humphrys-Dunne

Love horses?
 
Then you'll want to read on.
 

Peach & Deanie
 
Tell me about yourself. What got you started in writing?
 
I had been looking for an office job, without success. One morning, I had a strong intuition to write my autobiography, with the goal of inspiring children. I wrote my first book, Tails of Sweetbrier because I wanted to show children that anything is possible if you persevere. Tails of Sweetbrier is now on Kindle in it’s second edition.
 

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?


I have a desktop, and I prefer using it, rather than free hand. I find that with so many revisions, it works out well. Usually, I write something, but the next morning, I think improvements are in order!

 What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

Editing is fun, because then many of the basic ideas are on paper. It’s always a challenge to decide the best course of action to take so that the characters are entertaining, but believable. I think the most difficult part of writing is coming up with original ideas for children’s stories. It’s important to me that all the stories contain important life lessons for children.

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

Since I grew up with horses, I like to write about them. Once I determine the message, or messages I want to convey, I can plan the best way to make the story fun and educational for children. For example, in Charlene the Star, Charlene is a beautiful red horse, who comes from a family of famous racehorses. But Charlene goes to great lengths to show her trainers racing is just not her forte. She has tantrums on the racetrack.  She yawns while she’s racing. The story is told from Charlene’s point of view so readers learn about her amusing thoughts and actions. Readers will learn that it’s okay if you have different God-given gifts than your friends. In the sequel, Charlene the Star and Hattie’s Heroes, Charlene and her friends show the value of friendship and team-work when they start their own business to coach other horses.
 
 

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I have a blog called “Thoughts and Ideas of Deanie Humphrys-Dunne.” I offer writing hints, interesting facts about horses, and news about my books. I use twitter, Facebook and Pinterest. My books are also promoted by Geri Ahearn.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I spend as much time as I can writing, whether it involves working on my blog or  a new story. I write at various times during the day, depending on what other things are happening on a particular day. In my view, writing is like anything else; the more effort you put into it, the more proficient you become.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

My sister, Holly Humphrys-Bajaj, creates amazing illustrations for all of our books. We are working on illustrations for a new book called Charlene the Star and Bentley Bulldog. Holly has also created all of the book covers for our books.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I’ve just begun a story about a little sports car named Margaret. In reality, my husband’s MG sports car is named Margaret. In the story, Margaret is very shy. She has various mechanical issues that need to be solved. I’m planning some exciting adventures for her.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

I can certainly relate to those feelings! When I was writing my first book, Tails of Sweetbrier, I was petrified that it wouldn’t be accepted. But then I remembered advice that my dad always gave. He said to consider the worst that could happen and then plan your actions. With that in mind, I decided that if the story wasn’t accepted, the world would likely still be turning on it’s axis. I would only need to do some improvements and start again. I would tell any prospective author that you never know what you can do unless you try. You’ll probably astonish yourself with what you can accomplish. You should follow your passions, and listen to your intuitions. If your dream is to become an author, then pursue it! I would say you should also surround yourself with people who support your goals. 

Thank you Deanie!
 
In addition to the books mentioned above, Deanie has also published:
Charlie the Horse, is a fictional story, told from Charlie's point of view. He dreams of becoming a famous racehorse like his dad, Charles the Great. But he has trouble concentrating on his work. He wonders if he has the talent to succeed. He's also Charlene's big brother so he plays a role in Charlene the Star.
 
Get in touch with Deanie!
 
 

My Facebook page: Children’s Author, Deanie Humphrys-Dunne


Pinterest: Deanie H. Dunne

Twitter: @ Hollyssis

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to read about Deanie's experiences with writing for children...guess I'll try pininterest. My latest book is going no where. http://lettersfromlin.blogspot.com/2013/07/book-launch-discover-your-voice-after.html
    Have sold 4 so far but my last book that is a kindle sold 3 over the last 2 months. SLOW PROGRESS for sure....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.