Friday, July 26, 2013

Healing in Writing

I recently returned from the hospital where my daughter had surgery. After getting her cozy and sleeping at home, I did the same. Life almost gets sucked out of you as you witness the pain of surgery in a loved one.

And I couldn't help it. The feelings that resurfaced as I tried my best to soothe my daughter's pain and fears, made room for those times when I've used healing in my own writing.


Photo by Travelling Steve, courtesy of Flickr
Yes, I have spoken about this subject before. But on a simple level, I find that writing daily, whether it be in my journal, in a blog post such as this one, or working on a writing project, gives me ample opportunity to reveal and heal what hurts.

Not that I want to tell folks everything. Some things are meant primarily for my journal, my best friend, or my mother. But then there are those times, like today, when I feel the need to share what hurts.

Pain can't always be loved away.
Sleep will escape even the most dedicated testers.
Not all nurses care.
Not all hospitals cater to your wishes.
Sometimes you yell.
Sometimes you cry.
And sometimes, it takes everything you've got to get through it.

So, best wishes and love to my daughter in pain. I wish I could take it.

3 comments:

  1. lovely poem, that's the whole premise of my book Discover Your Voice After Divorce: Writing Workbook for Healing and Recovery. http://lettersfromlin.blogspot.com/2013/07/book-launch-discover-your-voice-after.html

    Julia Cameron talks about Morning Pages in her book Artist's Way as a way to heal and express strong emotions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn - I hope your daughter is better. You're right in easing the hurt. Sometimes, there's nothing to make it better. It's just not there.

    Fortunately, time helps because it keeps us moving along doing the things we need to do and in time we see the progress. I pray you will see improvement for her over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Lin and Pat. My daughter is doing much better today; especially this evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.