Monday, August 5, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Elizabeth Kaiser

How does Elizabeth come up with her characters? Read on...

1. Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

      I’ve always loved books and stories, even before I knew what words were. If an adult wasn’t around to read to me, I would turn the pages of picture books and “read” to my little sister. When I was nine I read an abridged version of Little Women. In the book, Jo started to write. I knew that’s what I wanted to do. It’s just been a matter of time, study, and a whole lot of practice.

2. How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

I definitely feel that Microsoft Word is my best tool as an author! I’ve actually done most of my writing on a desktop model, but recently splurged on a steal of a laptop, and so am feeling very up-with-the-Joneses now. I know! I’m so non-cutting-edge. That’s okay. My characters don’t care, and they’re some of my favorite people.

3. What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I love being held in the sway of the story, the spell it casts on the imagination and the fact that I find out more about my tale as I track it down across the wastelands of my imagination.

My least favorite part would definitely be the writing. Putting those words on paper and having them make sense, come across correctly to the reader… that is such a mysterious, unknowable process, and when it works it’s like magic. When it stalls, it’s like pulling teeth. I hate doing dental work.

4. How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

My characters come to me… it’s like they’re real people and I can’t make them turn into something they’re not. I like to think this is because of my long experience with a vast array of people and personalities, in real life as well as literature. All those memories are just sitting in the back room of my creative brain, and then one of them gets up and walks through the wall to the front desk.

5. What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I’m working mostly over the internet, so that would be networking with like-minded folk, researching, and always up for finding new ways to reach readers. I definitely haven’t gotten everything figured out with this, not by a long shot.

6. How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I write when I can… and that is not a scheduled thing. I’ve found my optimum time is from 3:00 in the afternoon onward, that’s when the creativity flows best. But being well rested is crucial, and that is something I’m not always up on. So, I do what I can, when I can, and try to be grateful!

7. What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?
 

I’ve just finished up and released Traitor’s Knife my second novel in the Five Gems series, the follow up to Jeweler’sApprentice. Three more novels will fill out this leg of the series, and we’ll see from reader response what might happen in that world later on.

8. Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I always have several projects on the back burner! It’s almost an epidemic with me. I’m currently working on a Medieval Romance inspired by a friend’s photo in a stunning blue dress she made. Then there are the several YA fantasy tales that aren’t related to Jeweler’s Apprentice/Traitor’s Knife… not sure when these might get finished, but they’re fun to sneak over and work on from time to time.

9. What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

I’m not sure what to say to that. If I knew, I’d tell myself! I think we all have a terrible sense of what “enough talent” is… especially when it’s ourselves we’re judging. So… yes, I have no idea what to say!
 
Get to know me better at E.KaiserWrites.webs.com
I blog at E. Kaiser Writes-A-Blog
On FB at: E. Kaiser writes.
And Twitter: EKaiserWrites
Stop by and say something! Connect! ;-)
I'm also on Goodreads now, so if you need a friend on there shoot me a line! E. Kaiser.
 
Thank you, Elizabeth!
 
As always, I am looking for other writers to interview. If you'd like to see your interview here and get some free promotion, contact me at: Kathy@ariverofstones.com. I have an opening for August 26!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.