Monday, April 20, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Debra Ullrick

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

Well, I've been married for over 40 years to a wonderful man - a man I am more in love with than the day I married him. *smiling* My husband and I, along with our daughter, lived and worked on cattle ranches in the Colorado Rocky Mountains for over 28 years. It was there, in the mountains, that I started writing. When I stopped working on the ranch and my daughter was in school, I read a ton of books. One day I wondered if I could write one. So I sat down and within two and half weeks I had written a book. A book that wasn't publishable I soon found out. J  I had an authors whose work I loved what she thought of it and she very politely and very tactfully said that it had potential but that I needed to get a few writing books and to work on showing vs telling, active vs passive etc. So, I did. She also told me about a writing group, the ACRW (Now known as the ACFW). And the rest is history.


How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?


My living room is my favorite room in the house so I use my laptop and write there.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

My favorite part of writing is being in control. *wicked teasing grin* hehe Actually that’s not entirely true as the characters take over and write their own unique stories. Even so, I still like to think I’m in control anyway. Hehe
My least favorite part is worrying about whether or not something is believable and second guessing every word I write.

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

Usually an idea comes to me first. Then I start to write it. Picking a name is important to me, so once I sit down to write, I look through a list of names until one jumps out at me. Then I find pictures that match their description. Well, most of the time anyway. Sometimes I don’t know who the characters are or what they look like until after I start writing and they tell me. Sounds bizarre I know, but that’s what goes on inside a writer’s life and head. Once I start writing and they tell me their story, I discover their hurts and what makes them who they are. The reason readers would want to get to know them is…they are “real” people with “real” issues. People we can all relate to in some form or another. In fact, there is a lot of me in my stories. Things I've gone through.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I promote on Facebook every day and tweet every day. On occasion I will run ads on ENT or BookBub along with a few other places as well.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I don’t schedule my writing time anymore. I used to get up early and write until way late. Since my mother’s death, I've learned that there are other things way more important. Like God, family and friends. Spending time with them takes precedence over writing.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

At Amazon

I am currently working on two stories. The first is a suspense titled Danger Never Knocks. The second one is The Dreamer and The Cowboy which is part of a series. The first book in the series is A Cowboy for Christmas. My newest book that I have out is Catch Me if You Can. It is part of a three book Racing Series. Book 1 in the series is… The Bride Wore Coveralls. Book 2 is Déjà vu Bride.
 Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I've always got a project on the back burner. Always thinking of new ways to promote my books. To make my books better. To minister life and hope to the readers without sounding preachy.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

I say if you want to write, go for it. But watch who you share that dream with. There are people who will discourage you and tell you that you can’t. That your books aren't good enough. 

Well, keep in mind they told Elvis Presley he’d never make it. They laughed at Thomas Edison and many others like them, and we all know their outcomes.  So write that story on your heart. Write it the way you see it and hear it unfold. Write it even if it doesn't make sense. You can edit it when you’re finished. Learn the craft of writing. Join a writing group or two or three. Buy how-to-writing books.  Learn the rules of writing but don’t let the rules bog you down. Write your stories in the unique voice God gave you, and don’t let anyone rob that voice. It’s that voice that sets you apart.

***
 Thank you, Debra!
Come back on Wednesday for her Character Interview!




Book 3 in the Racing Series ~ CATCH ME IF YOU CAN  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9GLH76

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.