Monday, May 8, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: T. I. Lowe

1     Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I’m just a southern gal from coastal SC. Reading has always been my escape. My desire to write began all the way back to middle school. I’d create stories in spiral-bound notebooks, but sadly, I never had enough confidence in myself or my writing ability. Those books were secretly kept to myself and eventually thrown away… 

Almost twenty years after those early teen years, my mom’s diagnosis of cancer and sadly her death that followed had me looking at life and dreams a bit differently. My first novel, Lulu’s Café was written during the time of her treatments. It was a creative outlet for me. Momma encouraged me to share the story and I made a promise I would eventually. Four months after her passing, I honored the promise I made to her.

**Advice Moment – FOLLOW your DREAMS** You’re good enough, so don’t let yourself down by cowering out!! 




How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I write around my family. My husband and I sacrificed so that I could stay home with my children. I wouldn’t take anything for that gift of time. My daughter began school around the same time my mom was diagnosed, so God saw fit that I was able to take care of her. So my writing career began by writing in the early hours of the morning before the sun rose or in the car rider line at school… Just whenever I could squeeze it in. Now that life has settled down, I try to commit to writing after school drop off and before school pick up with some laundry and cooking sprinkled in.

     How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?

I’m a bit old school. I love to write longhand. I’ll journal a book and its characters lots of time before sitting down at the computer. I like to truly get to know my characters before I try telling their story. A notebook is always in reach to capture a scene when it presents itself to me.
  
What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I’m absolutely in love with creating fictional worlds! I absolutely hate editing! LOL! I type fast and so typos will sneak in. When I reread, my focus is on editing the story and not the grammar. It’s tough for me, but I’m learning! Thank goodness for editors and proofreaders, but I feel it’s my responsibility to present the cleanest manuscript possible. No room for lazy!

     How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

Lulu’s Café came from me wanting to understand why women stay trapped in abusive relationships. Honestly, I couldn’t understand why they put up with it. So through prayer and research, Leah told me why she stayed and how she finally escaped. This book took the longest due to my mother’s illness, around a year. I’ve written 13 books total now. Some may take a few months. I wrote one within a month, though. That story consumed me until I got it out!

     What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

Mainly social media. I have also used Bookbub and ENT ads.

     What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

My latest book is Life Unwritten. It is about a young lady battling addiction in different forms. The book’s focus is on self-worth and body image.


I’m currently writing Before This Day and After This Day. Both are Women’s Inspirational Fiction.

     Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I have several books I am journaling. They are patiently waiting for their turn with the computer!

     What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Write what inspires YOU and not what you think readers want you to write. Stay true to yourself.

***

What is your advice on building your author platform?

Start small and ahead of the game. By that I mean, start with a website/blog at least 6 months before your first book comes out and add marketing stategies along the way. After the blog/website I focused on social media, including author interviews, character interviews, free promotion sites and book trailers that I learned to create myself. I didn't have the funds to hire someone, so I learned as I went along what worked for me and what didn't. Eventually I put out a book, "Marketing Your Book on a Budget," and by 'budget' I mean, 'how to market your book with little to no money.' This book is my top seller and highest rated book on Amazon.

***
Learn more about T. I. Lowe:

Author website
Amazon Author Page

Author Facebook Page





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your interview. You are a beautiful woman who shines through your books that you have written. Thank you for them. Keep up the inspiration... write on .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.