Thursday, March 3, 2022

5 Tips and Tricks for Reading More

No time to read?

You probably have more time than you think.

Here's what you can do to get a little reading time in.

1. Keep a book in your purse, backpack, or your car's glove compartment. Instead of pulling out your phone during those open moments at the doctor's office, read. Yes, you can also read on your phone but I have found that reading on my phone can quickly turn to other things like game playing, so I try to avoid reading that way.

2. Substitute reading for television watching. Yes, I get it, you just want to vedge. Consider a light read, a shorter book, a book that is pure entertainment. 

3. Read at night right before bed. I try to get in at least half an hour. I not only get some reading time in but I fall asleep faster.

4. What day or days off do you have each week from work? Plan some time during these windows to not only catch up on your life but to get some reading time in. Set a time if you have to.

5. Read to others. If you have children or grandchildren this is easier than you think. If you don't, consider reading to someone in your circle of friends. Once, years ago, a friend of mine was so sick she was in bed for months recuperating. Rather than go into details here about her sickness, let me just say that I went by every week and spent some time reading to her. The book? Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. 

Reading not only improves your memory and concentration but lowers your stress, say the experts. But reading is also fast becoming a book that is placed on the back shelf in favor of social media.

Wasted time?

Or a good read?

You decide.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.