Monday, April 22, 2013

Hate Marketing?

As some of you may know, I'm a member of various social media groups. One of the things I have been hearing a lot of is:

"I'm an author, I shouldn't have to market. Shouldn't I be focused on my creative endeavors?"

And

"I hate marketing. It isn't really creative, and I don't want to take time away from what I really love to do."

Well, I have some feedback for you want-to-be marketers.

Yes, you can hire someone to do the marketing for you; pay out the bucks, keep your focus totally and completely on writing, OR, if the money at your house is about as scarce as that ocean in the distance (good for you if you live on or near the coast), then you'll want to listen up.

First, all writers need to learn how to market. It doesn't matter whether you have published traditionally or not, you need to know how to market. Why?

No one will know you have a book for sale.
Your readership won't grow.
No one will be looking out for your next book.

Photo by: danperry.com, courtesy of Flickr
Do you give out freebies at your book signings or speaking engagements?
Second, marketing IS a creative endeavor. Consider the book signing that is a stand out success, because it's more of a party than a signing. Consider an interview where the creative juices are overflowing because you, as the author, have answered the posed questions in surprising, yet honest ways. Consider the time it takes to connect with others on social media; a connection that helps you and helps your new friends. What creative ways can you think of now to help others with their writing? How have other writers helped you?

Three, marketing is only made fun by a change of attitude. You can't stand idly by and expect to market successfully. You can't hate it and do a great job; people will see right through you and you will get tired of the falsehood pretty quick.

Four, marketing doesn't have to take a lot of time, but it does take time. Schedule it. Make time for it, but don't allow your writing life to be run by it. There are times I do more marketing, (like at the time of a book's release) and times I do less of it, but I am always marketing.

Do I love marketing?

Yes I do! Especially when I've created a great balance between marketing and what I love the most--WRITING!


5 comments:

  1. Great article, Kathryn. So many authors are uncomfortable promoting themselves, don't know how to promote their books, and hate to take time away from their writing. The key is to realize that if you don't promote your work then no one is going to read it! Book marketing is less stressful and more effective when authors understand their goals and their target audiences and develop a plan to guide them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dana Lynn!

    I get more comfortable marketing the longer I do it. I guess it's like anything else you put your mind to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the problem is, the way that many authors market is by talking AT people instead of talking WITH them. Once a true conversation with your readers starts,it becomes easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I think we can feel it. Both when we give it and when we receive it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.