Wednesday, May 28, 2014

CHARACTER INTERVIEW: Tika from The Least of Elves

Tell me a little about yourself (where you live, who you are, what you look like, what you hope to achieve, etc.)

My name is Tikorrah Adanne Aanneleh, but I prefer to be called Tika (my given name sounds too stuffy).  I live in Travanne in the kingdom of Rhodea – at least I did until the day my maid tried to poison me.  On my 16th birthday I discovered I was not really a princess of Rhodea – I had been adopted as an infant by King Maric and Queen Isleen.  It explains my pale skin, slightly pointy ears and unruly brown hair.  I do not look like the king and queen at all.  I return now to the city of Xanti to learn more about my birth parents.  I just hope I can survive the journey.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I love to spend time with my sand tiger, Herra.  We go on runs together outside of the city.

What is your favorite color and why?

My favorite color is green, because it is the color of the leaves on the binda tree in my garden.  There are very few trees left in Rhodea so they are very precious.

What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite?

I love Cook’s pudding.  She knows how to make it just right and without any lumps.  The taste is sweet (but not overly so) and the texture is smooth.

What would you say is your biggest quirk?

I always look like a whirlwind just attacked me.  My clothes are usually rumpled, I wear scuffed boots instead of fancy shoes, and my hair … it is always a tangled mess.  I am not a model princess.

What is it about your antagonist that irks you the most, and why?

Mortan wants me dead just because of my heritage – part Human, part Elemental, part Elf.  I think that is ludicrous.  I am no threat to him.  (You should see me handle a sword – pathetic.)

What or who means the most to you in your life? What, if anything, would you do to keep him/her/it in your life?

A few days ago I would have said my parents mean the most to me.  But I am feeling rather betrayed right now by their lies.  Herra, on the other hand, has never hurt me and I would do anything for her to keep her safe.

What one thing would you like readers to know about you that may not be spelled out in the book in which you inhabit?

I feel like being different all my life has not been a choice.  Because I look different, do things different, and even saw things others did not see, I was shunned by peers.  I think if I could be the same as others, then I will be happy. 

If you could tell your writer (creator) anything about yourself that might turn the direction of the plot, what would it be?

I am part Human and part Wind Elemental which means the Human part of me does not like being told what to do and the Elemental part can be quite impetuous and oblivious to consequences.  These characteristics counter the logical Elven side of me – what I should do next.

Ask me any question. I've always wanted to know what a character thinks about writers like myself. I'll answer the question at the end of this interview.

Why did I have to be raised in Travanne with Humans?  Why couldn’t I have stayed in Xanti with the Elves?

(I did not personally answer this last question; the author of the book did). Great question, Tika.  Mortan learned of your birth, and his servants followed you to Xanti.  He had spies already placed in the city, so you were not safe there.  You had to leave and be raised somewhere safe in order to stand a chance at defeating him once you were grown.  Travanne was the perfect place as the city is filled with magic, which hides your own abilities from Mortan’s searches. 

***
Thank you Tika!

For information about Robin and her upcoming novels go to:



1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kathryn for the opportunity to do this character interview. I really looking forward to releasing The Least of Elves in the fall.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.