Wednesday, July 27, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Shelley Bingham Husk

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I started writing when I was about five. I've written all of my life. Writing gave me a voice when I couldn't speak up for myself. Being able to write when life was nearly unbearable, probably saved my life. The first commissioned writing I did was for choral music and opera libretti.

When I moved to Utah I began writing screenplays, and stories. At that point, my kids were grown and they were no longer the boss of me.


How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I usually write at night, when I'm home alone and the house is quiet.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some 
other method of getting your words down?

I always write on yellow pads and cue cards before I transfer over to the computer. Some people say that's writing twice and wasting time. But I feel that using paper and pen accesses a part of my brain and body that the computer doesn't. That's just my opinion and it seems to work for me.

When I have to write a script, I spend about two days in the kitchen cooking, to clear my mind, before I begin. Then I lock myself in a room for about five days until the first draft is done. It's a win win, because my husband has lots of food to eat while I'm AWOL.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing? 

I write. I will write anything. I have written grants, accreditation's, training videos, screenplays, sheet music, poetry, stories and books. There is nothing I don't like about writing. I even like editing. I know, I'm weird that way.

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it
take you to write your book?

I love ghost stories. I started reading them when I was about five. I thought, what if I took a real ghost story and brought a couple of Hardy Boy type characters in to resolve the tragedy that might make a ghost hang around? And, just for fun, I started writing bits and pieces to read to my step-son.


What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I'm not good at promoting myself. My book is on Amazon and in 
some book stores and a few other websites. My publisher takes care
of that stuff. I'm not opposed to going to book signings and
conventions, which I have done. But Social Media seems tbe the
most common marketing platform that I use.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book
out?

My first book, The Ghost of Little Elm Lake, was released in February of this year. It is the first book in the Apparitions of America Trilogy. I am working on book two which should be available early next year. As well as my book Grandma's Christmas Wish, which will be available this fall for the Christmas Season.



Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I am working on a film called A Perfect Hero, based on the life and tragic death of Cubs ball player, Ken Hubbs. The screenplay is finished and we are hoping to film next year some time.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish 
but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Just write! Then write some more! There is a publisher for everyone. Also, there's no shame in self-publishing. The hardest part of writing is finding the right publisher or the right way to publish your work. Don't take rejection personally. I could wallpaper my bedroom with the rejection letters I've received. Don't ever give up!

My website address is http://www.shelleybinghamhusk.com/


***

A QUESTION FOR ME:

What do you find to be the best resource for finding an agent and/or publisher?

I haven't been in the market to find a publisher or agent for quite a few years. Suffice it to say, I finally became the publisher I always wanted and couldn't find. But during that time of searching I found Writer's Market invaluable. I also sought out  publishers online and talked to writer friends about who they were using and why. I had some success connecting with publishers - my first book was published through a local publisher here in Utah, but I was never successful in finding an agent.

Traditional publishing is a tough road. For me, I didn't like the idea of not having a last say on a book cover, how I wanted my book formatted, what I wanted to include in my book and not edited completely out, and so forth. 

Thanks for the great question!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.