Wednesday, August 10, 2016

CHARACTER INTERVIEW: Kyle Welter from Kyle by Fire

1.      Tell me a little about yourself (where you live, who you are, what you look like, what you hope to achieve, etc.) 

     My name is Kyle Welter. I’m from Midtone City in the Plains Republic in the country of North America. I’m 5’ 11” with blond hair that always looks like it needs to be cut. I don’t know why that is. I’m an only child due to financial issues. Kids are expensive (if you want to believe my parents complaining) and fire talents aren’t in demand. My dad had a hard enough time finding a job let alone securing a decent salary. I’m not even sure he uses his talent at work.

Get the Book at Amazon


     Anyway, I have friends, like my best friend, James, who tell me they wish they were only children. Ha! His three little sisters are loud and a little crazy but there are days our house is so quiet. It’s creepy. I’ll bet he never snuck out of his room at 12 years old in the middle of the day to make sure other people were still alive in the house.
    
     I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time around adults. This has fueled fears about fitting in. My ultimate goal in high school was to blend in. If you couldn’t pick me out of a crowd and we had class every day together for a year, I totally nailed it. That blew up in my face this year. Now I just want to get back to some semblance of that life. Running from murders is great exercise but terrible for the nerves.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
                
I have a lot of that lately. But before this whole MAIM garbage, I played video games, hung out with my friends and watched tv. Nothing spectacular. Although during that stretch at the beginning of school this year where no one talked to me, I spent most of my time doing homework and practicing magic.

What is your favorite color and why?
                
When I was little, it was purple because the hero on Wizards of the Universe wore this awesome purple outfit that looked sweet with his golden wand. Since I have absolutely outgrown that show, I can’t say I have a favorite color.

What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite?
                
Lasagna and breadsticks. Every day. Yep. Sooo good.

What would you say is your biggest quirk?
                
Well, I have this nervous habit of running my fingers through my hair. But otherwise, you don’t understand the effort I went through to never stand out.

What is it about your antagonist that irks you the most, and why? Share a line in the book where this irk is manifested.
               
Their persistence. Of course it helps when you have hundreds of people chasing just one. One group gets tired or arrested, the next group picks up the chase.

The worry knotted his stomach so much he finally pushed his plate away and returned to his room. He couldn’t escape the suspense, the anxiety. He fell into the same groove with questions playing in his mind. The memories of the dance drowned him. How could he have let this happen? Could he be anything more than the boy who almost got her killed? His legs felt like lead. His life had gone from bad to great to worse. What kind of future did he have in store? Always living in the shadows, trying to keep one step ahead of MAIM?

“Augh!” he screamed. He leaned over the chest of drawers and banged his head on it a couple of times. So this is madness, he thought. How could he free himself? He rubbed his head and sat on the bed. Sleep. Sleep seemed like his only option. Yet, even as darkness fell engulfing his room, he lay awake staring at the ceiling. Even if they saved Jessica now, could they save her again later? Would they even try? They had a whole world to worry about.”

What or who means the most to you in your life? What, if anything, would you do to keep him/her/it in your life?

Seriously? You want me to pick? If I don’t choose Jessica and she reads this, that won’t be good. James is my best friend. The title alone indicates importance. And then my parents. They’ve already been through so much. What would I do? It’s more like “What have I done?” The stitches up here on my head, yeah, that’s gonna be a pretty scar. I won’t even get into the broken bones.

What one thing would you like readers to know about you that may not be spelled out in the book in which you inhabit?
               
I am awesome at the arcade game Dinosaur Hunt. Not to brag too much, but the top five scores are all mine. Nobody has beat one of my scores in over two years. That’s why it’s not the top ten. Someone named JJUHOH4 has spot number six. What? That isn’t what you meant? Well, I guess then you should know I’m a dog person. I’ve wanted one since I was five. My parents keep saying a dog is like having another kid financially so as I’ve stated already, getting one of those is never going to happen. At least not until I move out and get my own place. Then I am totally getting a dog.

If you could tell your writer (creator) anything about yourself that might turn the direction of the plot, what would it be?
               
Uh, is it really smart to openly criticize the man who LITERALLY holds my life in his hands? He’s almost killed me a bunch of times and I didn’t do anything to him! Telling him his book should have gone in a different direction because I’m a Democrat and totally would have supported MAIM openly is like picking out my own coffin. Which I don’t. MAIM is bad. Please don’t kill me.

***

A Question for Me:

Ok, my question to you: Do you love your characters so much that sometimes you cry about what you are putting them through?

You'd better believe it. In fact, a not too far distant character, Joy, really got me going. I had an ending all picked out, but she had a better one. The only problem? The problem was much larger than the one I'd picked out for her. I didn't want to do it, but in the end, I did. It only made: The Gift: A Parable of the Key, that much better.

Thanks for asking!

Learn more about Kyle and his writer here:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.