Monday, April 24, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Erin Mackey

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I currently work at a full time job as a systems analyst and writing is my second job.  I never imagined myself as a writer honestly.  My oldest niece was around a year old and I was reading picture books to her and thought, “I could write something like this.”  That led to me writing 5 picture books that year.



How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I try to schedule time to write on Saturday mornings because I find I am most creative and productive first thing in the morning.  Of course, plans don’t always allow me to stick to this schedule so I try to write at other times if the mood strikes as well.  I actually wrote a picture book while my husband and I were on a weekend getaway in Pennsylvania to see the Longwood Gardens Christmas Display.  I get a lot of book ideas while on vacation actually – the relaxation inspires my creativity to flow.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?

I usually write on my laptop but I also use Microsoft’s One Note and Google Docs apps on my phone very often.  I will list out book ideas, develop them, or even write complete manuscripts on the apps.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I think my favorite thing about writing is to see the completed story.  I loved to read as a child (and still love to read) so I am still amazed when I get feedback from others who love my books.  I think my least favorite part of writing is not having time to do it.  If I have a great idea for a book and the creative juices are flowing, but I’m at my full time job about to jump on a conference call or go into a meeting it’s very frustrating that I can’t stop and work on my writing. 

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?


The Sleeping Flower 

My most recent book that I published, The Sleeping Flower, was actually one of the first books that I wrote nearly 15 years ago.  It took me 2-3 days to write including editing, but I don’t remember the specific inspiration for this story.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I stay very active on my social media platforms and sent out a press release when The Sleeping Flower was officially launched.  I also like to connect with my customers through my blog where I write about household tips, recipes, craft ideas, and family fun.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I just finished the final edit of the second book in my middle grade series titled Laurel Hill: Long Days of Summer, and hope to publish it later this year.  I have also been working on picture books for the past year and have at least 8 more picture book ideas in process as we speak.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I feel like so many projects are on the back burner because there just aren’t enough hours in the day.  The main project that has been sitting and waiting is my new Young Adult mystery/crime series titled The Rockland Journals.  I have had the first book of the series outlined in detail for over a year now but have not begun working on the actual writing yet.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

I think that everyone has a story to tell and that there is always someone out there who wants to hear it.  You have to pursue your dreams and work hard at them if you want to be successful: spend time writing on a regular basis, join a writer’s group near you for advice and collaboration, or take a writing class to improve areas that you feel you need help.  If you put the effort into your passion, your confidence will grow and you will love what you are doing.

***

Laurel Hill: New Beginnings Book Trailer  
Laurel Hill: New Beginnings 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.