Monday, November 20, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Rebecca Howie

Tell me about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I’ve always, always loved stories, and the first time I can remember writing for fun was when I was at a friend’s party when I was maybe six or seven, and there was a notepad in with the cake and balloons and plastic toys that made up the party favours, and I had this compulsion to write in it.

That compulsion to fill up blank pages is still the same, although my approach to writing has changed massively.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I’ve long since given up trying to schedule my writing time because schedules make writing feel more like a chore than something I’m doing for fun, and being on the clock makes it harder for me to get anything done because I’m worried about how little time I have left.

I’m more productive when I have a whole day ahead of me and nothing else to do because it gives me the chance to go back to my laptop if I’m feeling inspired.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a laptop or some other method of getting your words down?

I write in my bedroom, on my laptop, but if I’m plotting or get ideas for scenes, I use paper.
  
What's your favorite part of writing? Your least favorite part of writing?

My favourite part of writing is easily coming up with stories. I love starting with one character and building a whole world from nothing and making all the pieces fit together.
Get the Book
at Amazon

My least favourite part is definitely the editing, although writing the blurb is a close second.

How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

I’d written versions of Sam and Marshall before I started The Game Begins, and versions of the story which I eventually published, so when I decided to seriously consider publishing a book, I already had some idea of what it was going to be about.

It helped a lot that I roughly knew where the story was going and what was going to happen, and because I already had that head start with the characters and the first few chapters, it only took me around three months to finish the first draft.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I’ve tried a bit of everything since publishing my book, but social media has been the most fun for me. I love meeting new writers and hearing their stories and the things they’ve overcome to get their books published, and it works for getting me interested in other people’s works instead of all those ‘buy my book’ tweets that pop up on occasion.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

I’m working on the sequel to The Game Begins, which is called A Woman Scorned. It isn’t the first sequel I’ve ever worked on, but it’s certainly the hardest.

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I have a few projects I switch between when I can’t write AWS, but there’s none I’m in any particular hurry to finish.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Keep reading and writing. Reading is like a practice marathon before the real thing, and writing every day even if you don’t feel like it, is how you’re going to grow as a writer and develop your unique voice.

***
A Question for Kathryn

Have you ever thought about giving up writing and doing something else?

No, though I'm also interested in interior design and gardening. Writing, for me, is like breathing. I wouldn't forget to breathe on a particular day, and that same day I wouldn't forget to write.

***







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.