Saturday, January 15, 2022

5 Writing Habits to Kick

It's a new year with opportunities to make changes to your writing life! And this includes habits to kick to make you a better writer. Here are five that I'm working on this year.

Photo by Luz Fuertes on Unsplash

1. I will not edit as I write. Tough. Tough. Tough. I am going to write. Write. Write.

2. I will not compare myself to other more established, more creative, more _____________ [you fill in the blank] writers.

3. I will not replace writing with housecleaning. I will not say, "When this is done, I will make time to write."

4. I will write what's in my heart. I will let go of what others [publishers, other writers, myself sometimes] have to say about what is selling right now to make money. I will focus on what brings me happiness, not what others may expect or want me to write because of their needs. Writing can be seen as a selfish venture, but the best writers are those who dig deep and write what is most important to them. In turn, what they write becomes meaningful to the people who need it.

5. I will write daily. I will never be too busy. 

What are your 5 writing habits to kick this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.