Monday, November 4, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Sean Seah

How can you best hone your skills as a writer? How can Sean help you with personal finance?

Find out today in my next author interview!


Sean Seah
 
Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I was an accidental author! I didn’t imagine becoming an author was even possible for me. But in 2009, a local best selling author of 7 books, Teo Aik Cher, read my blog and emailed me asking if I would like to co-author a book together. Although our co-authoring never happened, he link up his publisher to me and that was how my first book was published in 2010. So to anyone who aspires to be an author, start writing and honing your skills right now. It can be a blog, a journal, articles because when opportunity strikes, you want to be ready.

How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?


I schedule to write early in the morning after my quiet time. This is the time I am most inspired and have the most energy to write. Through the day, I would bring my laptop around and when an idea came, I would pull it out and start writing wherever I am. I remember writing on the plane, at restaurants, at bus stops, and even just along the road on a curb. I love a laptop because I can easily edit and access it from anywhere.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

My favorite parting is the actual writing. When I write, I feel connected to my reader. Especially when an idea comes, I would love to just get myself seated and start writing.

My least favorite part is the cover design and layout. I am not very artistically inclined and often have problem crafting a good design. I am blessed with my wonderful publisher who would advise me on that. But to me, it saps up my energy.

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

I write to help my readers have better understanding on personal finance and investments. The fictitious characters I used in my stories are in fact from people around me who experienced financial set backs and success. Some of them are my favorite investors.

My readers can relate to them as these are real people with real experiences. Especially localized experiences.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I do online and offline marketing.
I sell best during live events, followed by online promotions.
Live events include book launches, book talks, workshops and seminars.
For online promotions, I use my blog and use facebook marketing.

 How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

When I am on a project, I will write every morning after my quiet time. I usually write from home in the morning and anywhere during the day.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

Get Financial Joy
I just launched  my 3rd book, “Financial Joy” on 2nd Nov! Thanks to the hard work of my publisher, Armour Publishing, it became an instant best seller in one of the most renown book stores, Kinokuniya.  
 
Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

My next book will be another personal finance book written in a fictional form. It will be a personal finance books for youths with the working title, “Making Change”. And it will be about a middle age man who is in financial ruins and he found a time traveller who gave him a chance to go back in time to meet his younger self to share important financial principles, in hope to change his destiny. This is to bring across the point that whatever financial skills and habits we choose has impact on the future.  There will also be a twist in the end as the main character made a very shocking decision.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Talent is overrated! The grades my English teacher gave me in school clearly shows that I do not have any talent as well. Just write something you really love for someone you really love. When you write in such a manner, your passion will be so attractive that readers will want to be immersed in your writing as passion is infectious. And in event your works is not published, you still had fun and you can give it as a precious gift to your loved ones because  you wrote with your heart.
 
     Get Winning the Money Game
 
               Get Gone Fishing with Buffet
 
 
***
 
Thank you, Sean!
 
To learn more about Sean you can contact him at:
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.