Monday, February 23, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Angela Hartley, author of Copper Descent and other works

Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

When I was little, I found myself daydreaming more than I paid attention in school. This, of course annoyed most of my teachers, but some recognized me for what I was and encouraged me to pursue a career as a writer. I was also defiant, and it took me many years to decide they were right.


How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

I prefer to work on a small net-book, though something can be said about freehand. A connection takes place when I write this way that typing can’t quite obtain.

What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

I love creating, I love revision, I love feeling the connection to fans, and every step in between. The toughest part for me is the rejection. But who in their right mind would enjoy that?

How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

My characters pretty much shout in my head, “NOTICE ME!!!!” Readers like them because they’re colorful, yet real. They have Daddy issues, make stupid decisions, yet still manage to find a piece deep inside that calls them to overcome.

What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

This year, I've tried all sorts of things. I spoke on panels, I visited schools, I ran book promotions, and presented at writers conferences. All of this builds readership, but it isn't going to matter if you don’t have time to write the next work. Right now I’m working on creating a balance between the two aspects.

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I take my writing very seriously, and block a section of time each day to some aspect of the craft. All of my children are older, and I find it is easiest to work while they’re in school. The house is quiet, and I can get lost for a little while.

What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

Right now, I’m working on Iron Resolve. In this Urban Fantasy novel, we follow Myke Preston—a man with a weak disposition. He walks away from his family only to find his world literally crumbling beneath his feet. The only way back to his wife and child is through a maze where he relives his tragic past. I deal with some pretty heavy issues in this story, drugs, infidelity, and child abuse. I also have two other books available, Copper Descent, and I have a short story in an anthology releasing this month, Secrets and Doors called Room 517. I like to describe Copper Descent as Pocahontas meets Paradise Lost, but with demon rock stars, and the Sundance Film Festival. Room 517 is a comedy piece about a high-maintenance modern girl who unknowing travels back into medieval times. It turns into quite the adventure when she realizes her controlling ex is actually a wizard determined to keep her forever.

Get the book at Amazon
Get this short story collection at Amazon

Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

I have a crime/horror novel named D-Brie. Adrienne Morris thinks she might be a serial killer, but after losing her identity and memory two years before, she can’t be certain. This novel has it all—sex, violence, hypnotherapy, and a woman who may or may not burn people to a crisp whenever the word ‘love’ is involved.

What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Get out while you still can! No, really. I’m serious. But if you find your feet dragging as you head for the door, know this: It is a hard road full of rejection. If you don’t have faith in your ability as a storyteller no one else will. It takes 10,000 hours to master any art. Are you willing to put in the time to become great, listen to critique, and grow? If the answer is ‘Yes’, you have a shot. Talent takes a back seat to hard work any day.

***
Thank you, Angela!

Learn more about Angela and her books at the following sites:



Copper Descent: 




1 comment:

  1. Great interview. I love the "hard work" quote. So true. Many very talented people waste it because they aren't willing to work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.