Wednesday, February 11, 2015

CHARACTER INTERVIEW: Lily Frost from Where Shadows Dwell

Tell me a little about yourself (where you live, who you are, what you look like, what you hope to achieve, etc.)

My name is Lily Frost. I have brown hair, which is somewhat wavy, and green eyes. I got them from my Dad. His eyes are like emeralds though, much more engaging than mine. I'm not a very big person, fairly petite and about 5'4" tall. I'm your average girl, although I've argued that point with James and he disagrees. I'll introduce you to James later. Right now, I'm hoping to reconnect with my family. My mom recently died and my dad is all I have left, but I haven't seen him in 15 years. To be honest, the thought of being without family scares me which is why I'm looking for him. I just can't stand feeling like I'm alone when there are 7 billion people on the planet.

But the thing with a journey you put yourself on, is that ultimately you realize you're looking for something bigger than yourself. Part of my search for my dad is my search for myself. Who am I? Do I have value? Am I worth anything to anyone, or is it just better if I ghost through life never knowing or being anybody? Really I'm just hoping to find my place in this world, even if it's just a small corner where I can feel loved and be happy.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I spend my spare time at the beach. I don't surf or anything, but there is something soothing about the waves lapping the shore. On the windy days when the sea is angry, I can't help it, I go to the sea to experience the energy, the power that it has. I love to feel the spray on my body and taste the salt on my lips. I'm not brave enough to go in when it's angry, but I go there to soak in the energy anyway. Of course, Michigan doesn't have the sea. When I can I go to the lake, but it's not the same. So in my spare time here I often find myself in the woods. I like to be in nature, all forms of it.



What is your favorite color and why?

My favorite color is blue, not just any blue, but the greenish blue of the ocean. That may partially be due to where I was raised, but I also like it because it's such a peaceful color. When I see it, it's like it washes over me, dissolving some of my tension and fear. It's therapeutic.

What is your favorite food? Why is it your favorite?

The favorite food question is a tricky one. I like lots of different foods! My mom baked a lot when I was growing up, so I have a very sweet spot in my heart for baked goods. Pastries, home-baked bread, scones... you name it. If it's baked, I love it.

What would you say is your biggest quirk?

I'm a people pleaser. I don't like to hurt anybody, to the point where I will hurt myself instead. I tend to take on other people's problems so they won't have to deal with it.

What is it about your antagonist that irks you the most, and why?

I have two antagonists. The first is my ex-boyfriend, Ryan. The most frustrating thing about him is his need to control everything I do, but more than that, he has an insane obsession with me. I didn't realize how obsessed he was until I left. Just when I thought I was free of him, I wasn't. His obsession is terrifying.

The thing that frustrates me most about my second antagonist is that he's completely driven by the lust for revenge. You can't reason with that! And he has no problems killing people. I have an issue with that. The fact is, I found love when I moved to Michigan and this guy seems determined to kill it before it has a chance to blossom. Between the two of them, I sometimes feel like the stress and fear is going to snap me right in half.

What or who means the most to you in your life? What, if anything, would you do to keep him/her/it in your life?

James Prescott means more to me than anything in my life, including my life. I told you I would introduce him later, and now I am. James is the first man I've known outside of my relationship with Ryan; he's the first person ever to show me that maybe I'm worth more than an abusive relationship. More than any person in my life, he has helped me see that tucked deep inside me is somebody beautiful, good, and worth loving. James is struggling though, which breaks my heart. His mom was murdered and nobody knows who did it. They found her body, but no evidence to point the police anywhere. He has a lot of hurt and a lot of anger that he's harboring inside. So I just love him and try to show him the man that I see.

You ask what I would do to keep him, the answer is anything. I would stick with him through anything that comes our way, I would fight for him physically and emotionally, I would abandon my family and destroy any hope of regaining what I am looking for if it means that I get to keep James. And if he asked me to, I would leave him. This seems like a silly statement, but James already saved my life by showing me that I'm worth something. When you love somebody, if they ask you to leave, you leave. That about sums up anything I think.

What one thing would you like readers to know about you that may not be spelled out in the book in which you inhabit?

I like to have fun. A lot of fun. I love to laugh and I can be a huge tease. Sometimes when you're dealing with crazy things like obsessive boyfriends and vengeful murderers, the fun side gets pushed away a bit. But I'm a tease and James is going to have to learn to watch his back, because if not he might just get shot in the butt with a marshmallow from a marshmallow gun.

If you could tell your writer (creator) anything about yourself that might turn the direction of the plot, what would it be?

I'm stronger than you think.

Ask me any question. I've always wanted to know what a character thinks about writers like myself. I'll answer the question at the end of this interview.


What is your favorite part about creating fictional little people like me that live inside your head? And, how do your characters evolve?

I think my favorite part about creating fictional characters is that they are always surprising me. I think I have them nailed down, and then, wa la! They show up doing something even better than I first imagined. 

My characters evolve in somewhat the same way as a real person would in just meeting them. The longer I know them, the more the layers peel off to show their true character. 

***
Thank you, Lily!

Learn more about Lily and her creator:

See the author interview:

And trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.