Thursday, February 19, 2015

STOP PROCRASTINATING! How to kick-boost your writing day


I don't know about you, but there are days I just want to turn the whole thing off; the insights, the research, the writing, the re-vision, the everything, and in it's place do nothing.


That's what I did last night in front of the television. Just soaked the television rays in and ate.

Now, you need to know that for the most part, I am a go-getter. I don't leave things until the last minute, and I don't spend my days avoiding what I should be doing anyway. But there are days when I've just had enough.

I had an individual tell me just today that she was already taking on too much and that she couldn't help me with a request I had given her. She said it was a smile.

And you know, I got it.

Better to speak your mind than to procrastinate, right?
Snow drifts in writing? You bet
When we procrastinate it may just be because we have too much on our plate. It may be that we don't want to do a particular thing, but that's not always the case. The trick is, is to look inside your own heart to see why you're in the avoidance mode.

Hate to edit? You may start a new project just because you don't want to tackle the one that needs editing, or you may just hate editing - period.

Hate to research? You may find yourself writing the book without doing it, guessing, if you will, instead of taking on the research head on.

Hate that first line? You may decide to start your book next week or next month because it's always so hard for you to get down.

Hate trying to find the time to write? You may have time to do the dishes, but may find yourself getting all moody about writing. Perhaps it's just a waste of time anyway; you'll never be published.

I'm sure you get my drift, no matter how high the snow drift is in your neck of the woods. But I also hope you take a look inside; decide today what you're going to change, and do it.

Just start. Hate to edit? Do it anyway. Reward yourself if need be; chocolate always works for me. Remind yourself that when it comes to research, you want your book to be as correct as possible, especially because there will come a day when someone reads it and sees the guess. Can't bring yourself to write that first line? Write chapter two first, then go back to chapter one. It works! And please, please find the time to write. No matter how many excuses we all make for not writing, we all have the same amount of hours in the day to do what we love.

Write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.