Wednesday, September 7, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Sherry Taylor

       Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

     I have always loved reading and have written poetry my entire life, however, when I was in high school, I took a creative writing class and fell in love with writing stories. After graduation, I married fairly quickly so I didn’t do much with writing until my four children were a little bit older. My youngest was 10 years old when I started writing my first book, and I have not stopped since!

How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

Since I run three different businesses, my time is at a premium. So I live by my schedule. Otherwise, I wouldn’t get everything done. I focus on when are most productive times of the day and that’s when I write. So I typically write from 10:30 till noon, and if I completed my to-do list, then I write again in the evenings for a couple of hours.

     How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or some other method of getting your words down?

    I love writing in long-hand because my brain works better that way, but I also write a lot at the computer. So it’s actually a mixture of both. It’s very easy to have my spiral notebook with me in my purse, and if I have a few extra minutes waiting in line, or picking up kids, I’ll squeeze in as many minutes of writing time as I can.

     What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

     The creativity is hands down, my favorite. I love twisting things around and making things up. That’s a rush!!! But then, when I’m not in the creative mode, I actually love editing. My least favorite part is wishing I could write full-time! Oh well. People are always asking me when my next book is coming out, and I wish I could publish a new book every few months, but that’s just not possible
     for me.

Get the Book at Amazon
How did you come up with your book idea? How long did it take you to write your book?

     The idea for my trilogy started running through my mind and I kept wondering what book it was. It was funny because a scene would play out in my mind, but then I’d be like, “No, that’s not how it happened, it was this…” and I changed the scene. It was then that I realized it was my own story, and I kept it going. It started out as a fun little story for my family, but then it took on a life of its own. I threw away the first four chapters and rewrote them to match how the rest of the story was shaping up, and then it grew and grew. It ended up being a trilogy. So from the beginning to the end, was 11 years.

     What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

     I don’t really do a lot of marketing, mainly because of time. However, I do run sales on Amazon and market through Book Barbarian, Robin Reads, etc.

     What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

     I have been commissioned to write an autobiography for a man by  the name of Wallace Jeffs. We are currently in the process of  finding an agent and publisher. I am also writing a short story of  one of my characters from my trilogy and also a Dutch oven  cookbook.

Get the Book at Amazon
Do  you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

     Once I get the three books listed above done, then I will be writing the next book in my series that comes after the trilogy ends, however, all books from here on out will be stand-alone books.

     What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?
    
     Just do it!!!! If you have a love for writing, just do it! There are so many writing groups/clubs/seminars and conventions that can help you polish up your writing skills. There is also a huge author community you can join and there are tons of us authors who are willing to help and give encouragement. We critique each other’s writings and help brain storm if needed. Plus, we’re a fun group of people!

***

A Question for Me:

Get the Book at Amazon
I keep getting asked where I get my ideas, and how I come up with such crazy bugs. (I have a lot of bugs in my books, and since it is fantasy, and in another world, I can come up with anything I want. Mwahahaha!) My answer is this: What if? I ask myself what if, all the time. What if that tree is sentient, and can speak? What would it say? Why can it speak? And then let my imagination take over. I also read a lot of books and watch movies. Sometimes, these get my brain thinking in all kinds of crazy directions.

I do the same thing with a twist: I'm also in search of new ideas directly from the lips of interesting conversation. It's amazing what people out there will say and do that will give you inspiration for your next book!











1 comment:

  1. I always love learning about how different people market. I have never heard of Book Barbarian or Robin Reads until now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.