Thursday, January 12, 2012

It's not just a job...

I had a very rewarding conversation with a family member yesterday. It seems this family member is looking for work.

"I need a job that will help pay the bills," she said. "Can you help me with a resume?"

Photo by Mitchell, courtesy of Flickr
Well, I do resumes, but I didn't get the feeling that this particular family member really wanted me to help her with that. Probing a bit further, I discovered that she wanted to work at something she loved, and knowing her as I do, I knew exactly what that was.

I suggested that I could help her market her dream, get it out there so others knew her skills. We talked for a few more minutes and she seemed happier when we left the conversation than when we began it.

I don't know what she'll do, but I hope she chooses her dream. The older I get the more I realize that many dreams fall by the wayside because we're too afraid to reach up for them. It seems easier to get a steady paycheck, to spend our time with the jobs (few that they are) that are out there. Maybe a job isn't our particular cup of tea but it pays the bills.

This morning I was thinking of this very thing and realized that sure, we can search for a job, any old job that will "help pay the bills" or we can search within where all of the answers are in the first place. We can ask questions such as: What would I enjoy doing? What makes me happy? What skills do I have, what dreams haven't yet manifested in my life, and how will I get there?

I love the quiz set up by Lisa R. Preston on her website stepintodestiny.com. I took the free quiz this morning and discovered, yet again, that I am on the right path. My job is not just a job, it's an adventure in FUN!

Try it, if you dare! And let me know here what you discovered about yourself. I would love to hear!

Until tomorrow...















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.