Wednesday, October 16, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Prudence Hayes

What's Prudence's least favorite part about writing? What are her characters based on?

Find out in our next author interview!

 Prudence Hayes
 
Tell me a about yourself. What got you started in writing?

I began writing when I was younger writing stories, screenplays and such, but never told or showed anyone. I was afraid of their opinions.  Then about two years ago I decided to jump into it for therapeutic reasons. Viola! It helped getting the thoughts, emotions, stories and voices out of my head and onto paper.
How and where do you write? Do you prefer a lap top or do you prefer writing freehand?

Little scenes jump into my head at the most random times. Typically, it's as soon as my head hits the pillow at night. So, I grab whatever is near to write it down. I prefer writing freehand and getting the main scenes down and then piece them together on the computer. It works best for me. Lately, I have been trying to begin a story on the computer and write from beginning to end, but I don't believe that is working out.  So, I'm going to go back to what is natural.
What's your favorite part about writing? Your least favorite part about writing?

My favorite part of writing is watching a story form itself and things start to fall into place.  My least favorite is…well, it's kind of my least and second favorite….it's hitting the 'publish' button.  It's a great feeling to finish a story and share it with the world in hopes that they like it, but it also heightens my anxiety level.  I still haven't gotten over the nervousness of other people reading my writing.
How do you come up with your characters? Why would readers want to get to know them?

My characters all have a smidgen of the myself and people that I know or they are people that I wish I knew. 
What types of marketing do you do to promote your writing?

I'm still working on getting better with the marketing aspect of writing.  I use Twitter, Facebook and try to get on as many blogs/websites as I can.
How do you schedule your writing time? When do you write?

I write at all random times. It seems the more I schedule the less words come out, so I try to keep it as organic as I can.
What are you currently working on? Do you have a new book out?

Right now, I'm working on a children's book series.  I have two done and working on more.
Do you have a project on the back burner? Tell me about it.

At Amazon
 
I have a few…there's the children's book about a young sarcastic witch, the sequel to WHEN IT RAINS: THE UMBRELLA COLLECTION and a couple more that are still being formed.
What would you tell a beginning writer who wants to publish but doesn't believe he/she has enough talent?

Do it anyway! Don't let doubt overpower the feelings you have when you write :)
***
Thanks, Prudence!

Learn more about Prudence at:
Twitter ~ https://twitter.com/PrudenceHayes
Goodreads ~ https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6566850.Prudence_Hayes
Blog ~ www.peaceloveandwriting9.wordpress.com

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.