Thursday, October 24, 2013

Time Out for Gathering Story Ideas

Because it's October, and typically folks are gathering in their harvest, I can't help but think of other gatherings in which I participate.

One such gathering has to do with writing.

Photo by: N-I-C-O, courtesy of Flickr
A writer can't always be writing. She must be researching and walking the leaf filled lane if you will. She must take some time to breathe in the season and capture the moments that might just find themselves in her next book...

I am reminded of a story I heard about yesterday on the news. I can't remember the man's name now, but he played some of his own music at a recent piano concert. Though in his 80s or 90s, this was his debut, and every one of his songs had been written and played (I believe by harmonica) previously in a prison camp.

How could he write such beautiful music in such a terrible place?

Talk about lifting others with his music; calming their fears. But he must have seen something beyond those camp walls. He must have noticed the trees changing their colors in the fall.

I have to admire a man like that.

Today, as you gather, think of all the beauties that surround you, even though they might not at first appear obvious. Take them in, gather. And continue to gather.

You never know when you'll need to use them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.